It's About Freaking Time

2.01.2007 11:09 AM 11 2009 Melanie
For the first time in my life, I have a grown-up job. I have just been hired at the bank, and I start on Monday. I'm so happy I could cry...okay, so I cried a little, can we keep that between us please? I got to call Home Outfitters and decline their generous offer (part time, minimum wage). I would have liked the work, I'm sure, and would have had the added stress of not using my employee discount and spending my entire cheque. Now I don't have to worry about it. I may even have enough from this job that I can go shopping once in a while!!
I don't even know for sure what they're paying me, but I know it's more than minimum wage, and I know that I have a hundred ways to advance within the company and possibly make more money that way. They are not open an hour that I'm not available to work, so I'll never have to worry about having an availability fight with my boss. I can't count the number of times I've fought for Sundays off, or for a couple of hours with Peter a week. I was starting to worry that I'd end up waitressing again (which as a job I like) and never see Peter (which simply isn't an option). You just can't work daytime hours at a restaurant.
I can't believe how much I want to hug that human resources lady at the bank. What a lovely, sweet woman. I hope something great happens to her today. I guess unless you knew the scope of what Peter and I were dealing with financially, you wouldn't grasp how great this news is for us. I feel like God just threw us a lifeline, and that everything is going to be okay.
Wow, thanks God, for taking such good care of us, and forgive me for ever doubting that you'd do anything less than that. I know how blessed I am, whether I have money in the bank or not, but thanks for knowing how to take care of our financial needs as well. Yippee!!

13 Response to "It's About Freaking Time"

  1. Becky Says:

    Hurrah! I know what it is like to worry about literally every dollar so I hope this job gives you some breathing room. I would hate money if I didn't love it so much. I'm really happy for you Mel.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Thanks Becky! I'm taking my dear husband out for dinner tonight to celebrate in my new Salvation Army sweater!! (I love thrift stores and always will, I think)
    The most amazing part is this: they sent the contract over for me to sign and told me that I'd be making $15 and hour!!!! I nearly fell off my chair. I was hoping for 11. This day just gets better and better.

  3. Sue Says:

    Wow!!! I'm so happy for you. I hope that this is just the beginning of wonderful surprises in your life.

  4. Anonymous Says:

    Wow, Melanie, that's awesome. What a killer job. Kyle always suggested that I go and apply at the bank. I think that it would be great, but the problem is that you then need to have clothes that are suitable to wear at the bank. I have one shirt, no bottoms. Darn. I can't believe those people referred you to be a dishwasher. *shakes head* Good luck, and hope it all works out well!

  5. Toad Says:

    congrats, thats totally killer.

  6. Anonymous Says:

    Thanks guys. I can't believe how relieved I am. Today is the first day in weeks that I don't have to haul my cell phones around and be scared to take a shower for fear of one of them ringing while I can't answer.
    I'm totally doing the thrift store thing for all the dressy clothes. I may check out the Value Village in Vic, the next time I'm there, it's enormous!!!

  7. Claudia Says:

    Congrats on the new job darlin'!
    kisses & hugs

  8. Carlie Says:

    That is great Melanie! Awesome :) Are you guys coming over on tues or wed night? (ask Loren)

  9. Carol Says:

    Congrats on the job. Now the worry has been lifted. Hey, can I get a loan?

  10. footsack Says:

    Congrats on the job but one little problem. How are we going to scrapbook now??? Huh???

  11. Margaret Says:

    WOW! $15/hr. That's almost twice the wage you would have gotten at Home Outfitters. I can completely relate to the enormous relief of getting a great job. Congratulations, Melanie.

  12. Cindi Says:

    Hope your first day of work was wonderful. I'm really sorry you can't see Chloe's blog. I hove no idea how to fix it either. I will update my blog with some new pictures soon!

  13. Anonymous Says:

    way to go moni... i'm in the middle of trying to get a "real, grown up job" too... i think they call them careers... only thing is... i have to wait another 3 weeks before i here if i passed my test for the RCMP. but yeah... way to go... good for you, congrats, and all that other stuff