Bringing Home the Bacon...kinda.

4.29.2007 6:07 PM 11 2009 Melanie

So I've officially gotten a temporary second job. I'm not getting as many hours at the bank as I would like, and so I have taken to delivering pizza. It's hockey season, so that means a good amount of money, and when that's over then the tourists start pouring in. I worked my first shift on Friday night and in three hours made more money than four hours at the bank. Crazy. Reagan says it's because I have breasts and so that's why, but honestly most of the people I delivered to were women, and I don't think they care. But I compliment their homes and their babies and so that works just as well.
I thought I would feel lame delivering pizza at nearly 25 but I just couldn't bring myself to waitress. It just seemed like such hard work to learn table numbers, and where the cream was kept and on and on. By two hours into my first shift, I was answering phones, punching in orders, and making good money doing it. There's not a lot to learn that a handy new map book won't help me with, so I'm good. It's only three nights a week, in Parksville and Qualicum, and I still get all my weekends to myself. I work Monday, Wednesday, and Friday if you're sitting around in the area and want a friendly face delivering pizza... I was very surprised to enjoy my first shift, and tomorrow I'm back at it. Peter's happy because on my work nights, I get 50% off pizza. His next order is a goat cheese and oyster pizza. Um, eww.
Other than that, there's not a lot that's new for me. Peter and I are leading a home group for young married couples and are loving the people we've met through that. We hung out with them all weekend, and just had a really great time. Now I'm off to have a long hot bath, after watching some Iron Chef...

11 Response to "Bringing Home the Bacon...kinda."

  1. footsack Says:

    I doubt weather I'll ever call you. Maybe in six months. I just don't like pizza that much. Would rather have toast and jam. But I'm happy that you are happy.

  2. footsack Says:

    'whether'. Not 'weather'. Arggg!!!

  3. Carol Says:

    Best of luck delivering pizza. Getting good tips is always a good thing, and I hope it continues for you.

  4. Toad Says:

    i love the whole wheat crust. yummmmmm.

    i wish you could come deliver it here. that would be awesome.

    "that's a $500 delivery charge please"

  5. Margaret Says:

    I hope you get loads of tips. Tell Peter that I think his taste in pizza is nasty.

  6. Anonymous Says:

    It is nasty. We brought one home for him yesterday. Pesto, goat cheese, shrimp, oysters, and garlic. It stunk up my car and the moment he was done eating, I made him go brush his teeth.
    He said it was yummy.

  7. Unknown Says:

    Hey, I remember when Kyle was delivering pizzas at Pizza 73 in Spruce. It wasn't that bad, and you could make some decent money. I used to go with him sometimes. He's actually been thinking about going back and delivering, but I don't think it would be the same because it's not Pizza 73. And I agree, Peter's pizza sounds NASTY! I like seafood but not on my pizza. Pepperoni and mushroom, thanks. Or my favorite that I used to make at Pizza 73: chicken, bacon, LOADS of mushrooms, jalapenos and a bit of feta, and then that ranch dipping sauce. Mmmmm... Okay, now I want pizza.

  8. Becky Says:

    First of all... Doesn't it make your car really stinky? Or does a bottle of Febreeze pretty much take care of things?

    Second... I love Iron Chef. I wish I was watching it right now... I wonder if it's on... See ya.

  9. Becky Says:

    Oh yeah... And I love you. And Iron Chef. And President's Choice Decadent Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yum.

  10. Kathy Says:

    Congrats on the new job and the extra bit of money ;) Colevin was trying to convice me that I should deliver pizza. lol. However, my car is on the verge of dying :(

  11. Anonymous Says:

    hey melanie. i love your blog. i don't know why, maybe because it gets me thinking, and challenges me. so keep writing. because i like it. and congrats on the pizza job, sounds like something i should try $$$ haha.