Anywhere But Here - But Preferably Italy

4.04.2006 11:23 AM 11 2009 Melanie

I want to go somewhere. I can't seem to get out of my plane ticket phase. I want to go somewhere with Peter, and discover things, and take pictures, and try and find someone who speaks my language, so I can find a bathroom. I love being somewhere new. So I'm making a blogtrip. Peter and I play this game, "what would we do this week if money wasn't an object?" It goes something like this. We'd get up, and hop a private jet to Tuscany.

We would spend the day wandering around little foreign streets getting lost. We'd find some great little hotel that overlooks the fields and wake up in the morning to see the sun coming up. We'd go and have lunch right here, and then spend the next day going to different wineries, and tasting really good wine, and snacking on little Italian delicacies.

And then, off to Florence. We'd take the train across the Italian countryside, spend one day and night there, and in that evening, get all dressed up and go out for a really fancy dinner. Then we'd stroll along Ponte Vecchio with a big cup of really great coffee, and hold hands. My feet wouldn't get sore from the fabulous shoes I'd be wearing, and I wouldn't trip or spill coffee down myself or anything that normally happens on a regular basis to me.

And the next morning, we'd rent a car, and fulfill one of Peter's lifelong dreams, other than being married to me. We'd go hiking and rockclimbing in the Dolomite mountains. We'd spend the day exploring the woods and rocks and streams, and we'd find a beautiful clearing and camp for the night. Peter would cook me dinner over a little campfire, and we'd spread out a big sleeping bag and sleep outside under the stars.

And the next day, it's off to Rome. We'd rent a moped and drive around and sightsee, and shop all day long. We'd find a little gelato place and sit on the Spanish Steps, right here, and eat our ice cream and make out in public like teenagers.


And what is a trip to Italy without Venice? This is our sunrise on the Grand Canal. That is Fabrizio, who will be our gondolier. He'll have a terrible singing voice, but the trip down the canal at sunrise is finally what we needed to get another sunrise boat trip out of our minds for good. We wrap up in blankets, with hot coffee, and a little pastry that we share. We spend the rest of the day, you guessed it, getting lost and having the time of our lives.

And then it's back to Tuscany to have a few more glasses of great wine before heading home. But wait, money is no object...and we've now fallen in love with this place. So we buy this villa in Tuscany, and pay for all our friends and family to come join us for two weeks. No one likes to get postcards of places they can't go, so this is the next best thing. Take this as your formal invitation to visit my Italian villa. I'll be waiting.

8 Response to "Anywhere But Here - But Preferably Italy"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    You're awesome Mel! Know what else is awesome and has nothing to do with your post, but just happened? When my dog has good dreams his tail wags! He's done the whimpering in his sleep, but never the tail wagging! It was quite hilarious! Anyways, We'll see you in Italy!

  2. amy Says:

    It sounds like you've actually been there, wow, you've got a great imagination. I love the pictures, puts you right in the mood. I'd love to come visit you at your italian villa.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    yeah, I have a rich fantasy life... or as peter would say "an interesting way to look at reality."

  4. Carol Says:

    Ok, since we are going to Italy, Carrie and Inge and I can go and meet our own Uniclear "Fabrizio" :)

  5. Margaret Says:

    Just tell me when, Mel. Hey. do you have any spare "Fabrizios"?

  6. Melanie Says:

    I'm sure we could set you up with some nice Italian man with a pretty house and an affinity for cooking and horseback riding. I'll get right on it.

  7. Unknown Says:

    Ah yes, that silly Fabrizio...

    Just let me know when you get that little Italian villa, and I'll be there, and we'll it traditional Italian pasta to our heart's content...

  8. Unknown Says:

    Whoa, I mean eat... I just realized a day after that I mispelled that... oops...