A New Blog

4.03.2006 3:26 PM 11 2009 Melanie
I have been kicked off MSN. I'm highly annoyed. I can see my blog, I cannot comment on it, and I cannot access my owner page to add anything to it. I have to open it in Explorer, which immediately "encounters errors" and shuts off. I can't copy and paste to my Firefox browser, it just doesn't work. Stupid. But I got to start a new blog, so that's kind of interesting. And here you have it, my "first" post, which, I'm sorry to say, will also be a rant.
I have worked in customer service for a total of 6 years. Wow, that's a lot, now I feel old and annoyed. I have done everything from fast food to being a carnie, to finer dining, to now being the Head of Customer Relations for UniClear. Yikes, I'm aging with every sentance here. My point is this. I am always polite in a restaurant, in an e mail, to a bunch of sleazy guys wanting to pop balloons with darts in hopes of getting my number. I'm usually very sweet, regardless of what I say afterward. Over the last three days, I have had these three experiences:
- Taco Bell - they have NEVER ONCE gotten our order right. We can't go through the drive through anymore, it's worse for some reason. We went inside, asked for tomatoes on my taco, they said okay, charged me for it, and I moved to the side to watch the guys make it. No tomatoes. I asked if it had tomatoes, and I was shooed away. When I got it home, it also didn't have sauce. Dry chicken, some lettuce, a few hard taco chips, and that's it baby.
-Hastings Video. I am addicted to Gilmore Girls (I will delete male comments on this I promise - I know there's not a guy alive who likes this show). Hastings is the only video store that allows you to rent them. Disc by disc, $3 a pop. My friend Cary and I are watching, and go to get disc two. Nada. Since the price to rent is so high, and they also sell the whole season, we ask what it costs. $30, she tells us. Sounds better, and we don't have to stop watching right then. We get the season - nope -$50. So we don't rent it or buy it, and are annoyed at being lied to. We go back in the course of the next week and a half, but no bones my friend. Ours is the only disc not there. Last night we call before we drive over. "Yes, we have it. Sure we'll hold it for you" We get there and they have held the season of "Charmed" - stupid show. Gilmore Girls is there, somewhere in the store, but misplaced. We can't find it, they won't look, and also won't give me a discount for lying to me, and making me buy one disc of one season for $8. I'm annoyed, and spend the money anyway.
-Pizza Hut will not deliver to my house. It takes 5 minutes tops to drive here from there. There is a Pizza Hut down the street that will deliver, but they do not have wings there. I have to get in my car in the rain and drive to pick up my order. Which was wrong.
It's something about this town, I swear. You CANNOT get good, or even adequate service in a restaurant. I cannot have a Canadian cheque made out to Peter, that he can deposit at his bank. You'd swear you'd just handed the teller Nepali Rupees. They just stare at you. I can't find cheese here (unless it's made in Wisconsin) or perogies that are more than 50 cents a perogy. I can drive through a liquor store, but cannot get anything other than hard alcohol, or wine. Canadian wine, not a chance, Italian wine, maybe one or two. And worst of all, I cannot see the mountains, or the ocean, or a lake, or even a river. I feel completely clautrophobic.
I'm glad we moved here. We'll never settle down here. We couldn't. I will not raise my children in this town. Lord only knows how they'd turn out. All this all means is that I'm going back to YWAM. And then back to BC. And then I'm digging in my heels.

11 Response to "A New Blog"

  1. footsack Says:

    I do feel bad for you...really I do. But if things were great for you, you may never come home and that would be bad...very, very bad. Panago comes all the way from Parksville to here.

  2. Melanie Says:

    My thoughts exactly. We live here because we know we'll go back to ywam this way. I can't wait to come visit bc.

  3. Unknown Says:

    Hey, I can find you one guy that likes Gilmore Girls... my good ol' boyfriend, Kyle... it's funny, he's the one who suggested we watch it one night because he liked it, and I'd never seen it... It's a pretty good show... Don't watch it regularly, but hey...

    At least your jobs went up in stature, instead of like mine... First it was Tim Horton's, then a cashier at Wal-Mart, then cash office/accounting at Wal-Mart, then front desk at a motel, then McDonald's (I desperately needed a job, and the people were fun), now UniClear...

    Wow... I think that people in Wyoming have some issues... Seriously, there's a thing called customer service, it's a handy invention, I'll show you how it works sometime (taken from Corner Gas, with a couple of words changed)

  4. Trav Says:

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  5. Becky Says:

    YAY! Welcome to the wonderful world of Blogger! You're old blog always took much longer to load up, so I am happy with the switch. Also, I hated having to sign in to write a comment. This is much nicer. I have to go change my template now so your link goes to the right place.

    Oh, I almost forgot... At least you have a Taco Bell. We don't. We don't even have a Taco Time. So quit your whining and mail me a burrito.

  6. arimich Says:

    Yay! I like your new place. :) I can't believe employees get away with stuff like that. I should come out there and manage a store - I'd have things tip-top shape in no time. :)

  7. Margaret Says:

    How do you put up with such incompetance? that kind of bad service just drives me nuts.
    About two weeks ago I went through Tim Horton's drive through and after I got a few kms away from the store i took my first sip of coffee. They put sugar in it! I couldn't go back at that time, but the next day i went back through the drive through and ordered a coffee. I told the lady, "Please make sure I get only cream today. Yesterday i got sugar which I didn't ask for and couldn't drink." When I got to the window my coffee was free with their sincere apologies. That's service.

  8. Anonymous Says:

    exactly - I understand that stuff happens, videos get misplaced, the guys at taco bell don't speak english. I get it...but if you screw up, at least make it right. I used to give away desert at Olive Garden like it was going out of style. Something went wrong, I'd box desert for the whole group and send it home with them. If you just didn't enjoy your food and weren't eating it, I'd throw it out and get you something new. Sigh...
    Becky - just place your order and I'll mail it. Or maybe I will just randomly order something, and they'll give you something else, and you may have a chance at getting what you want.
    Peter will also watch "the Girls" (I'm supposed to say) but will leave the room if the grandmother Emily comes on. He can't even hear her voice without getting mad...

  9. Unknown Says:

    Yeah, I don't mind much if people make mistakes, so long as they're willing to make it right after... It wasn't really a mistake, but one time, I went to East Side Marios, and I got this asparagus pasta, and when I got it, it only had two little pieces it in... which really disappointed me, because when I order something with asparagus, I expect asparagus!! So I asked if it normally came with more, because I only got two pieces, and she came back and gave me a little plate full of asparagus... It made my day...

    And I hate Emily on Gilmore Girls, too... she drives me up the wall..

  10. Carol Says:

    Thanks for letting me know about your new blog.

    Can't say that I watch the gilmore girls, but I do watch "Miracle Worker"

    That Home Makeover has nothing on Miracle Workers.

  11. Carlie Says:

    Hello Melanie, here's my beef: I don't like inconsiderate neighbors who let their HUGE dogs run around the place and get my little Zoe all riled up (I have no idea how riled is spelt so bug off)But about the video thing, that is insane!!! If I was you I would share my beef out loud to them "So you're not going to find the video I want?? What a load of crap? What kind of stupid video store is this? BASTARDS!" And then stormed out.... Just reading your blog entry makes me made... If you are in the service industry and I give you money I want proper service! Good grief...