I'd Like to Thank Grey's Anatomy...

6.09.2007 11:54 PM 11 2009 Melanie
...for saving my marriage.
You see, before my life was vastly different. Or, perhaps I should say, Peter's life was vastly different. Our evenings usually went as follows:
Peter: (looking longingly at his Playstation) Honey, how's that new book going? I saw you reading it earlier, would you maybe want to do that tonight? I could light a fire for you and make you a cup of tea...
Melanie: I finished it. I need to get to the library more often, I have nothing to read. Do you want to watch a movie?
Peter: I don't know, we've seen everything we have. How about a nice long bath for you? I could run you a bath, pour you a glass of wine... (now he's openly staring at the Playstation with unabashed longing.)
Melanie: I showered this morning, and it's so late, I don't want to go to bed with wet hair...
Peter: Okay. Why don't we go to bed? (this is agreed to...fast forward five minutes)
Melanie: Where are you going? Aren't you tired?
Peter: Not really. Umm... maybe I could play some Madden while you sleep?
Melanie: Yep, I guess you'd better.

I really wasn't that mean about it, and I'd like to think I'm better than a lot of women on the issue of video games (all women but Carlie.) It wasn't that I didn't like him to play, it's just more difficult to amuse me for that much time all by myself. I usually cleaned, or went to bed by myself, which I like much less than cleaning.
NOT SO ANYMORE!

Melanie: Babe, when was the last time you got some good Madden time in? Isn't it time to begin a new season? (NOTE: if you've never played Madden, this is the LONGEST part of the game. You have to draft players just like real football, organize your team, run practices, and then, just to be sure you did it all right, play a pre-season game, oh, and look for an hour at your stats. It takes literally hours and you can't turn it off in the middle.)
Peter: Yeah, I guess it is. Eric did give me the newest Madden, and I haven't played very much yet. You wouldn't mind? Do you want some tea first, or your book, or....wait a second! Wait one second! This is about Dr. McDreamy isn't it?! You have a crush on him!
Melanie: No! Well, yes a little. But he's not real, so it doesn't matter right?
Peter: I don't know. How much Madden can I play?
Melanie: Oh, I'll be occupied for a good couple of hours, maybe three...
Peter: (while getting settled with his beloved controller) You're sure you don't have a crush on that guy?
Melanie: Honey, he's not a man. He's a fictional character created from the mind of a woman. I get it. There's no reality lapse here for me. I love you.
Peter: (now running screen plays and fully distracted). Yep, uh huh.... you too babe.

We're happy. We're snuggled on the couch, he's playing his game and I'm loving every episode. My imaginary crush on Dr. McDreamy may have just saved my marriage.

16 Response to "I'd Like to Thank Grey's Anatomy..."

  1. Margaret Says:

    I think I will stay away from Dr. McDreamy. I already have so many things that never get done and only so many ways to come with excuses for not getting them done. I don't need another, so, alas, Dr. McDreamy is not going to be a part of my psychosis. Happy Grey's to all of you.
    By the way, Mel. What a clever way to make your husband happy.

  2. Carol Says:

    Like Margaret, I don't watch Grey's Anatomy. Good to hear that it was a help for you and Peter.

  3. Anonymous Says:

    okay - my crush has officially ended. what a shmuck.
    still, I'm going to watch another episode right now.

  4. Unknown Says:

    Haha. That's hilarious. I also find I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to video games, but luckily Kyle doesn't usually play them that terribly much. You should write to the creators of the show and tell them how it saved your marriage. That would be hilarious.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    well, i'm out of the loop with the rest of the world, i don't watch it either. i agree with carrie, you should write them a letter, hahahaha. and i think it's great that peter wants to make you happy first, before he plays his game, like run you a bubble bath and make you tea... how cute :D

  6. Anonymous Says:

    he is pretty cute, though I think it's more about keeping me occupied...lol

  7. footsack Says:

    I just don't know what to say. I don't watch. Probably never will. I think a book with a glass of wine in a nice bubble bath would win over Dr. McDreamy any day of the week.

  8. John Says:

    I am completly out of the loop here. I have never even watched 1 min. of Greys, and I never play video games. But what ever works, you go for it. A good action movie and a glass of pepsi would keep me happy.

  9. Becky Says:

    Aunty Mitz,

    That's just because you don't know him. Ahhhh Grey's. I can't believe I have to wait all summer for a new episode. If I don't make it, Ang can have my MHS bunnyhug and my green pants, I leave my cats to Dad, and my duck slippers to Carrie who seems like the kind of person to appreciate slippers that quack when you walk.

  10. Toad Says:

    *ang crosses fingers while she mentally pictures herself in said bunny hug*

    "please don't make it, please don't make it"

    (i love grey's although i don't love working my schedule around tv, so i will wait longingly until the dvd of season 3 is out and purchase it that night, stay up all night, eat junk, call in fick the next day to work and watch some more.)

  11. Anonymous Says:

    It's all about tv-links.co.uk.
    love that site

  12. Anonymous Says:

    I have a blog yet again!

  13. Kathy Says:

    Okay I'm so lost. I've never seen Grey's Anatomy. I'm glad the show has been such a good experience for you *lol* And I can relate to boys and thier games, I get grumpy when Mark has only been playing computer games for 20 minutes. Poor guy *lol* Although to be fair he still has a few more weeks to run if he wants *lol*

  14. footsack Says:

    Obviously this post has done something! You now don't even have time to post anything new. maybe that's a good thing:)

  15. John Says:

    I just read this and found out Becky is leaving me her cats! Becky you hang in there, I do not want them filthy animals. I know you can do it, your tough.

    *pictures self with hands wrapped firmly around cats neck....squeezing, squeezing.*

  16. Sarah Says:

    Thankfully we have two tvs and two computers and lots of books, so we usually don't get stuck with one occupied person and someone twiddling thumbs... we've both pre-ordered a game for the fall, and hopefully by then we'll have gotten caught up on all the other games each of us has going, plus the books we're reading... I'm re-reading some of my all time faves, and Ryan is totally hooked on Eragon and we just went and got him Eldest 'cause he's almost done Eragon... I love that we both enjoy games, movies, books and TV shows (ones we buy or borrow in sets as we refuse to get cable) and usually don't have a conflict there... though the one computer is better than the other, and same with the TV so sometimes it's a little bit of a struggle ;) Enjoy your show Mel :)