Summer Resolutions

5.22.2006 10:09 AM 11 2009 Melanie
I'm posting this, simply in hopes that in publishing a couple of summer goals of mine, I will be more inclined to do them, simply out of fear of someone asking, "so Mellie, how's that going for you?" and having to admit to them what a slacker I've been. So here you go.

1. I only have to work at 10 every morning. There is not one reason in the world that I can't get up at 9, have a cup of coffee, and a good quiet time before work. Today I did, and I feel wonderful. I miss God. I honestly miss my relationship with God when I was single. Probably because I was in my YWAM bubble, where it's easy to do everything a "Good Christian" should. I feel like I have more to worry about, and less fuel to run on. That just doesn't make any sense at all. If I'm busier, I need my quiet time more. I really do. Running on empty isn't working out so hot for me. So there you go. I want a quiet time every morning.

2. I want to go back to the gym. I am sick to death (pronounced 'dee-yath' in some parts...) of this extra 15 pounds. I know there are people with more to lose than that, and lots of those people, are so much more motivated than me. They put me to shame. I need to suck it up, and go back to the gym. I also feel a million times more healthy and happy, and energetic when I do. Weird, you'd think it would tire you out, but really, it's the opposite. I like myself more when I do something other than sit on my tuckus all freaking day.

3. I want to start a little garden on my deck. I'm thinking of asking my father in law to make me a little bench/trough I can use to plant some herbs (NOT pronounced 'erbs' regardless of what Peter thinks) and flowers. I like the deck, and would love to be able to cook with fresh basil, parsley, cilantro, and all of that. This weekend, I want to go shopping for some little starter plants. Any advice from anyone like Amy or Auntie Susan on this would be greatly appreciated. Also on the deck, I want a lounge lawn chair. I haven't tanned once since before my wedding, and I swear people, I am as white as the new fallen snow. I want to hook up my laptop on my deck, and one day a week, at least, work in a bikini, that hopefully, I will again look acceptable in.

There you go. Feel free at any time, to hop on here and say, "hey Mellie, how's that going for you?" We'll see.

5 Response to "Summer Resolutions"

  1. footsack Says:

    Hey!! Why don't you want my gardening advice?? You think I can't garden or what?? I'm hurt :( I can give you great advice. Here it is..find the best garden market you can and buy all your 'erbs there. Works for me. I still have the most beautiful baby dill in my freezer that I bought at Coombs market and it makes 'summa borscht' just the way Grandma makes it (regardless of what Peter says)It's great and so much less work. Leaves more time to do the fun things in life...yeah!!!

  2. Unknown Says:

    Well, just don't ask me for gardening advice... I've only had two plants ever in my life, both from Kyle... a cute little sunflower, and a nice small rose plant. And I neglected them and killed them both. I felt bad... and then made sure to tell Kyle that they represented my feelings of our relationship... brown, withering, and covered in strange little bugs. Yeah, he was pretty impressed. I'm so sweet.

    And, you see, this is why I don't tell anyone about what I want to do with my life, and my "plans" and "resolutions". Because I am a slacker, and I like to know that the only person I've let down is myself. No one needs to know about that novel I want to write, and the ideas I had about losing weight, and then I sit down at eat a bag of chips.

  3. amy Says:

    Your deck garden sounds wonderful. You should have beautiful little plants, with no cutworms to cut them off at the stem. (i'm a little bitter at cutworms right now.)
    I wish I could come over and eat supper with you and Peter, supper made with the spices from your garden, of course, and get to know you both better. That would be fun.
    I just bought some flowers, and I am really enjoying them. I've replanted them all in pots, and can hardly wait till it's warm enough to not have to carry them in and out every morning and night.
    Mine are all pink, purple, red and white this year. And I think they are just beautiful, they make me happy.
    Good luck with your garden, your quiet time, and the gym!!

  4. arimich Says:

    Oh, I miss summa borscht. Maybe I can find me some when I'm back "home" this summer.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    i like the way it sounds when people say erbs rather than herbs, but personally i can't say it and feel good about myself. it's like pretending there's not an H on it. shame.

    on another note, i was going to the gym 3x per week in may while stephanie was in the ukraine, hoping to gain an extra few pounds of irresistable charm.

    she's back now and i've realized i didn't need it in the first place. right on.