"I'm Currently Without Country"

5.17.2006 10:06 AM 11 2009 Melanie

Yesterday night I arrived "home". Since I turned about 18, I have completely lost the meaning of that word. I don't know where home is. I've lived in a few places. I think at last count, I've lived in well over 35 different places my whole life, so maybe I've always been confused on this issue. I never know how to answer the question "where are you from?" other than to say, "Canada."
On Monday, Peter and I tried to drive across the border. As far as I understood, I am allowed, as a Canadian citizen, to be in the USA for six months at a time, as a visitor. Apparently this is not so, as we were told once we went into the Immigration offices and were told off by a Korean/American guy that apparently has a bee in his bonnet about having to file paperwork to be an American, and to bring his wife over from Korea.
They said they were going to turn me around, because I am married to an American, and after that happens, there is no such thing as me being a "visitor". They yelled at us, accused us of all sorts of crap, and of me wanting to be an illegal immigrant. It was so scary. I have a girlfriend that married an American and he went to California to get a place for them, and when she tried to go visit him, they freaked. They were supposed to be apart for three weeks, and it was nine months before she saw him again. I was going crazy in the immigration office, bawling, trying to convince this guy that we don't want to live in the USA, we're moving to Canada, which is true. He was furious with us, and said they were turning me around and it was up to Canada if they wanted to let Peter in.
And then came our miracle. Before they could turn me around, they had to have the head of immigration approve it. And he didn't. After being yelled at and intimidated for an hour, they just let us go. I couldn't believe it. I was bawling, and Peter was shaking, and by the time we got to our car again, I was crying out of relief, and Peter was pretty emotional as well. We have no idea why they let us in. The only bad news is that now I am not able to go into Canada and enter the US again, until I have filed all my paperwork. So our trip to Alberta for Ryan's wedding in a few weeks is out. At this point, I'm just happy to be with Peter and not stuck in Canada, while he's in the US.
This all just got me thinking about where I belong, really belong.
"But our citizenship is in Heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ" (Philippians 3:20). In my bible, next to this verse, I wrote a long time ago, "this is where I belong, this is why I don't fit in here". We are all, I suppose, strangers in a different land. I'm so thankful that God intervened for us, that I am in my little apartment with the one person on earth who is home to me, no matter where we are, India, Canada, or here. So yep, this isn't a rant about the horrible laws that make things difficult for us, just a little blurb from someone who is thankful that God is working in the day to day things in our lives, and that one day, will call me to my real home.
ps. I'll give a shiny nickle to someone who can tell me where the quote I used as the title of this post is from.

12 Response to ""I'm Currently Without Country""

  1. Melanie Says:

    One more thing - the eagle, honest to goodness, looks like the guy who interrogated us...

  2. Unknown Says:

    Wow... that's ridiculous what happened, and it's awful that you can't go to Ryan and Sarah's wedding now... *shakes head* But I'm really glad that you did get through, and you didn't get stuck in Canada with Peter in the US... that would have been hard... But is always good to know that, even if where we are doesn't feel like home, we know that there is somewhere that we'll be going soon, and it will be more of a home that we ever had, or ever dreamed of.

    Now, I'm not positive, but here's my guess for your quote: The Terminal... ?

  3. Melanie Says:

    Nope - not the Terminal. It's a movie though, one of my favorites.

  4. Becky Says:

    French Kiss. Too easy.

    Speaking of French Kiss... If I could look like any celebrity in the whole world it would be Meg Ryan. I love her.

    Sorry to hear about your border troubles. I'd have cried too. I'm also sorry you'll miss the wedding. That's stinky.

  5. Margaret Says:

    So what happens when you need to come back to Canada? Will Peter be turned back or are Canadians more relaxed in these matters?

  6. Melanie Says:

    We have to get our visas in order. until then, I'm not moving. I need to sponser Peter to come to Canada, and in the meantime, get an extended visa to stay in the USA. It never felt like an international marriage until yesterday...funny.

  7. Melanie Says:

    By the way, way to go Becky. I tried to look like Meg for too long, now I think the closest thing I'll get, is "stapling the picture to my forhead" - now where's that quote from?

  8. Trav Says:

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  9. Melanie Says:

    I didn't think Double Jepordy counted as a chick flick. But Gone With the Wind sure as heck does. lol.

  10. Trav Says:

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  11. Carol Says:

    Sorry about your border crossing. Great to hear that God in his infinite way intervened to allow you to be together.

  12. Anonymous Says:

    awww, i totally got that meg ryan line and wanted to impress you all with my movie trivia powers, but then i read these comments and realized that you're all nerds and i suck.