The Wind in Your Hair

6.12.2006 11:12 AM 11 2009 Melanie
Last year, the Pittsburgh Steelers won the Superbowl (with the help of the 12th man in stripes, but that's another story.) Their quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger was the youngest QB to ever win a Superbowl, at age 23. He's amazing. When I made my Madden team Ben was the quarterback I signed, no matter what the cost of the contract. I love him.

He had an lucky start to his carreer, when the Steelers' regular QB was injured in the 2004/'05 season and 'Big Ben' had to start. He surpassed the record for wins by a rookie quarterback, going 13 and 0. When the starting quarterback, Tommy Maddox got better he didn't get his starting position back. Ben was simply too good. The next year, his performance at the Superbowl itself left something to be desired, but up until that point was amazing, especially for such a young guy. We'll blame it on nerves. It is, after all, the most televised event there is, if I'm correct. He's making millions, unlike a lot of 'NFLers', doesn't seem at all cocky when he's interviewed, he just seems like a nice guy, having the time of his life.

Today, while riding his motorcycle he was in an accident. He's in surgery as I type, and there's not a lot of info right now other than that he flew over the handlebars and smashed his face into the windshield of the car. They think he's busted his jaw, and lost most of his teeth; which NFL-wise would be the least of his problems should he get away so "lucky". The pictures of the car show a pretty sizable dent in the passenger side near the wheel, and a head-sized smash in the windshield with one below that which everyone will be praying is not his arms, hands, shoulders, knees, or honestly, any other part of his body. It was pretty scary looking. All they know is that his injuries are not life threatening.

Here's my issue with it all: He wasn't wearing a helmet. He never does. He doesn't 'like it,' I believe he's said before. Now that I know he isn't going to die, I don't mind saying, "what a complete idiot!" He's been given the chance of a lifetime, a chance that a million boys and men (and likely some women) around the world would give up nearly anything to have,  especially if you pair it with his ability and his opportunities. And he will not give up the feeling of having the wind in his hair as he rides his motorbike. If he can't ever play again he will lose literally millions of dollars, and the ability to do what he loves most. Not to mention possibly never riding a bike again. All he needed to do was put on a helmet.

Due to this, and another motorbike accident involving an NFL player some time ago, many coaches and owners will be rethinking having a "no motorbike clause" in many signing contracts. You want to play in the NFL, you don't get a motorbike. Get one when you retire with all your millions. Honestly, people in everyday situations give up all sorts of things for their jobs. People make sacrifices and usually, to do a job that they hate. My father-in-law barely ever gets a break from his job. His boss treats him like garbage and he's on call almost all the time. He can get called from bed to go and deliver medical supplies, he can be in the middle of speaking at his daughter's graduation (they gave him a few hours off for that one) and if they need him, he goes. But he took the job, and that's what he does, and what he gives up to get a paycheck, and not a great one.

I love Big Ben. I hope for his sake, and his families' sake also, that he recovers fully. I also really hope that when his face impacted that car this morning, that it brought him to his senses. Get well Ben. Get well. And for the love of Pete, get a helmet.

6 Response to "The Wind in Your Hair"

  1. Unknown Says:

    Okay, first of all... Blogger is bugging me... The first two times I tried to click and comment, it said that it couldn't complete my request... well, why not?! So I refreshed and then it works... They've been having some issues lately, anyone else noticed?

    Anyway, about your post... that really is a shame... I don't understand how someone could drive a motorbike without a helmet... sure, it would be nice to feel the wind in your hair, but seriously, is it worth having your face scraped off on the pavement, or your head smashed through a windshield?! I don't think so... If Kyle EVER rode his (I say his, but he doesn't have one anymore... though he talks about getting another) bike without a helmet, I would beat him and scream at him.

    Such a shame that someone so young, and with so much going for him, would risk everything just to feel the wind in their hair, because they don't LIKE to wear a helmet... Get a convertible car! Or sit in front of a fan for a few minutes... Freak... get some sense... Though it wasn't a motorbike, it reminds me about a stupid stunt the assistant manager at McDonald's pulled... I hope he's okay, too, that's always horrible to hear something like that...

  2. Melanie Says:

    This time it wasn't blogger, it was me. I kept making spelling mistakes, so I was editing and republishing. You're very quick.

  3. Carol Says:

    I hate people who are old enough to know better!! Especially when he knows that he is out in the public eye and he is showing young minds the wrong message. I am glad he's ok, but I wish once he was ok, I could be there to "kick his butt' for being an idiot.

    I noticed blogger has it's moments. There was a whole day that I could not read the comments.

  4. Margaret Says:

    I have been having a horrible time publishing my comments. When i click on [login and publish] a box pops up and tells me [this document contains no data] I have to click on preview first, then login and publish. So annoying.

  5. Melanie Says:

    Geez, what is it with blogger? A couple of days ago I couldn't do anything with it either, couldn't even look at the blogs. Strange.

  6. Unknown Says:

    Yeah, Blogger's been lame... I guess they've been obviously been having server problems, and I got a message that they were moving servers... so... well, I guess we'll see...