Deep Blue

6.30.2006 9:26 AM 11 2009 Melanie
So last night, we went to the gym and had a good long workout, and then went to the video store and rented Deep Blue. Now, if you've seen March of the Penguins, which was amazing, rent this movie. Really. If you've got kids, rent it anyway. It's unbelievable. We loved it.
If you've never seen March of the Penguins, and can't figure out why in the world you'd rent a documentary on a Friday night, well, let me tell you. March of the Penguins was really a documentary/story. It was moving and beautiful and left you in awe of a part of the world you'll never see. It's -70 degrees with 100 mph winds, you couldn't drag me there for love nor money. But, on a scorching summer day (+35 here yesterday) with a nice cold drink or bowl of ice cream, it's wonderful.
Deep Blue was simply, a better movie. Did you know, that more people have left earth and gone into space, than have ever seen the ocean floor? The deepest parts, that is. They call the oceans, "the last frontier". If you've ever gone snorkelling, you'll understand. It's a completely different world there.
I had a second grade teacher once, who gave us all a sheet of paper and told us to draw a fish. We were supposed to be as creative as we wanted to be. It didn't have to look like a goldfish or anything even really resembling a fish. We could use any color we wanted. When we were all finished, she told us that "chances are better, that the fish you drew actually exists somewhere in the ocean, than that it doesn't. The ocean is that vast". She's actually right. There are creatures down there that we haven't even named.
To me, all I could think of was how incredible God was. It was like being in church, watching this film. If evolution was actually a viable option, why then, is the world so incredibly beautiful? How would we know? What part in the evolutionary process, of adapting and changing with whatever environment we're in, taught us to appreciate beauty? Why in the world does a dolphin expend unbelievable amounts of energy to simply play?
Ten Shekel Shirt has a song that says, "there's something, about the ocean, that makes me rise up and praise you". I couldn't agree more.

7 Response to "Deep Blue"

  1. footsack Says:

    I went snorkling for the first time in Mexico and it was amazing but lame in comparison to stuff I've seen on Discovery channel. I love these pictures though. They are amazing. I haven't seen either movie but mayber now I will.

  2. Margaret Says:

    Thanks for the peek at these two movies. I think we will watch them, too.

  3. Melanie Says:

    Of course you do. In other news, I have now watched every single episode of Gilmore Girls that is on DVD. The new season comes out Sept. 18. I can't wait that long, and may have to adopt another girlie tv show in the meantime. Right now, the top of the list is Felicity.

  4. Margaret Says:

    FELICITY!!! That is the lamest show I have seen in a while. It was on back when I lived in Martensville and had only peasant vision TV. I could either watch that or Question Period. I just wanted to slap her. She was totally stupid! Mel, you can find something better to watch. Trust me. That stupid show about Earl is better.

  5. Carol Says:

    Snorkeling is pretty amazing. Just wish there were more tropical waters to snorkel out here. Oh well, I will just enjoy the memories of it. Amazing pics Mel, and thanks for the info on those movies. I always enjoy a good nature show ( although I may be the only one in the family that does, except for Carrie.)

  6. Unknown Says:

    Sounds like a fabulous movie. Maybe Kyle will watch it with me.

    And yes, I sure do enjoy my nature shows. I specifically got this channel "pack" with Bell just so I could get Animal Planet. I don't even think I looked at the other channels. But no one ever wants to watch it with me, so I only get to when no one else is around or they're doing something else.

  7. Sarah Says:

    Hey Melanie!
    Yes, I've joined the dark side and started a blog. I'm a sheep. Baaaaaa ;) LOL
    Anyways, I love your blog Mel!
    And it seems like we're in the same boat, stuck in small shared living places... you seem to have it worse though having to run down 3 flights of stairs to do laundry.
    We'll have to rent those movies... they look awesome.
    I finally got to go snorkelling in Bora Bora. It was awesome. We saw a large ray and I chased it for a while. Incredible.
    Will we get to see you guys before you go back to YWAM?? I'm sorry you couldn't make it to the wedding... I missed you.