Summer Snapshots

8.17.2006 10:39 AM 11 2009 Melanie
This is me having breakfast at Perkins (something similar to a Smitty's) a few weeks back. Peter and I have not gone out for a meal now in two and a half weeks, which for us, is a pretty big deal. I'm running out of dinner ideas, but I love to cook, and it's just insane how much money we were spending on food. So now we're eating at home, but since restaurants are the only thing to do in Gillette, other than going to the gym, we've been finding other ways to amuse ourselves at home. We've had people over, we read together in the evening, watch a little TV, and have gotten rather addicted to Yahtzee. Yep, we're a cute little old couple.
The Morel boys are planning a backpacking trip. They're going to hike into the Bighorn mountains, and sleep under the stars, and freeze in their sleeping bags at 12,000 feet. It's about a 20 mile hike with about 40lb packs and they're going to do it in about three days. I wish I could go, sounds like fun, but I'm really glad Peter gets to do a boy thing with his dad and brother. Did I mention that his dad is 58 years old? I so hope that Peter is in that good of shape when he's that age. We all think his dad is lying about his age, he must be only 43 or so... So last weekend we all went to the trail and hiked about four miles of it, and had a really good time.
This sign welcomes you into the Cloud Peak Wilderness. Naomi was such a trooper, and had an awesome time. We couldn't believe that she kept up with us all. We always say that Naomi has a recipe on her back that says, "Energy? Just add people!" She's such an extrovert it's hillarious. We had a great time with her, especially when Peter got her a little walking stick.
This was a pretty little lake that we sat at and ate some grapes. Naomi didn't need the rest apparently, and just ran all over with Peter and her dad looking for big rocks to throw in the water.
This is sunset from our balcony. We've gotten some pretty amazing ones these last few days. I'm loving it. I love the sky over the plains, there's nothing like it sometimes.
Speaking of the sky, we've had some pretty amazing storms here lately. This is me on our balcony, watching some incredible clouds.
I was a little worried about tornadoes, it dropped about 15 degrees in about two hours here, and the wind kicked up really fast, but apparently, they just don't get them very often here. About 30 miles south of here they got one a few years back, but Gillette has been safe.
Either way, I couldn't believe the clouds. You, of course, can't see how quickly they were moving, but this was just a long seething, churning mass of clouds, and they felt so close. I wish we could have turned to the right and gotten a picture of the huge bank of clouds coming in from the other side, and they were colliding right above our house. It was fantastic. Anyway, there's some pictures of our summer so far. I should start packing our house, since we're moving in a few days, but I just can't stand the prospect of doing that. I HATE packing and moving. And I may have to do it three times in the next two months. Yipes. Anyone wanna come over and help me pack? I'll make you the most fantastic dinner, I promise, and provide you with any beverage you like, and essentially wait on you hand and foot, just so long as I don't have to pack. Any takers?

8 Response to "Summer Snapshots"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Mel
    I wish I could come and help you pack . Especially if you could promise me a good storm like the pictures you have. We are enjoying our last few weeks with Cindy and Chloe so I think I will stay here. I am going to miss them so much!!!
    i am crying just thinking about it now. I am not sure how I am going to be able to say good bye.
    Love you and happy packing. Just think about what you are going to.
    Auntie Sue

  2. Melanie Says:

    What is also cool about these pictures is that in the last one, you can see the way the rain bends, because the wind was blowing two different directions where the storm met. Crazy. Thanks Auntie Sue, I hope you do okay with your goodbyes, I'm trying not to think of mine. Whatever gets you through I guess.

  3. Margaret Says:

    I wouldn't mind helping you, but you live too far away. Maybe when you move into your own place here I can help.
    Sue
    I remember how hard it always was for you to say good-bye when we were growing up. Now it is your daughter and grand baby, which is a lot different than cousins, I will pray for you.

  4. Unknown Says:

    Those clouds are INCREDIBLE! Wow. That is definitely one thing that I miss about living here... there's no really good thunderstorms! We heard a couple peals of thunder once this summer, and it was the most wonderful sound. But that was it! I miss the lightning and the thunder that shakes your house, the power outages and eating chicken noodle soup by candlelight, sitting outside and just marvelling at nature.

    Like Auntie Margaret said, I'd sure come and help you if you weren't so far away. You could pay for me to fly out there! :P Anyway, I've still got my office to organize that I've been putting off for a long time.

  5. Carol Says:

    I would help you pack, but again distance is a definate factor. Amazing what a person can accumulate in a short time. I am like you, and normally wait until the last minute, and then race around like a mad man trying to get the task completed.

  6. footsack Says:

    I can't even come and help you pack but I will come and help you move. Can't wait!!! I'm so excited.

  7. Claudia Says:

    Holy smokes!!! Mel, that storm, I mean that sky, is amazing!! I love those pictures...
    I love thunderstorms, well, only to look at, I hate the sound they make, scares me!
    Good luck with the packing and moving!! =)

  8. Kathy Says:

    Wow Mel,

    Nice pictures :) I'd love to come up and help you pack. I'd also love to sample your cooking :) You must be quite the expert at cooking by now. Wish I could miss work and come see you. Tomorrow I have a day off, but I have to go to a funeral. Trust me I'd rather be seeing you. Happy packing!