Delicious Peace

8.03.2006 11:09 AM 11 2009 Melanie

This is a cool site that I found that provides the best of two issues I am very passionate about: good coffee, and being a good and loving human being no matter to whom, and if they deserve it. And in that order, because until I've had my coffee, I'm not at all a good and loving person.
Here's and blurb from the article:

Brewing "Peace" Among Jewish, Muslim, and Christian Coffee Farmers
At times, a really inspiring project arises that offers an opportunity to weave together the most important threads of social justice and religious acceptance. Mirembe Kawomera "Delicious Peace" Coffee is such a project. The coffee comes from the Fair Trade Certified™ Peace Kawomera Cooperative in Eastern Uganda, formed in 2004 as a strong interfaith alliance of 558 Jewish, Christian, and Muslim coffee farmers. The co-op produces high quality Arabica coffee, and is sold as "Mirembe Kawomera 'Delicious Peace' Coffee" by Thanksgiving Coffee Co., which has established a close partnership with the co-op.
The farmers and their communities made a conscious commitment in 2004 to work together across religious lines for the benefit of all, and to demonstrate that peace among religions is possible. "We think this farmer coalition is unique in all of Africa," said cooperative director JJ Keki. "Today the world is in pain. We want to prove that a better way is to be proud of who you are, respect each other, and make something great together."
For Paul Katzeff, CEO of Thanksgiving Coffee Co., the opportunity to support this extraordinary project represents the fulfillment of his 34 years as the innovative leader of the socially conscious coffee roaster: "The Members of the Mirembe Kawomera Cooperative in Uganda exemplify the hope and dreams of the 60's generation, my generation." Mr. Katzeff said, "Peace through tolerance, hope through cooperation, and justice born of equality. Deep in the heart of Africa 558 coffee farmers decided to grow the size of the pie instead of fighting over the scarce little there was. Their courage and creativity in this worldwide time of strife and conflict is a story that the world's leaders need to hear. I am proud of the fact that the universe brought this story to us at Thanksgiving Coffee Co., and now, let us all spread this story of coffee and peace. It's a story for all generations; their coffee is exquisite in both flavor and spirit."
Thanksgiving Coffee is determined to support these Ugandan farmers and their example of peace and tolerance. The company has established a profit-sharing program to help the cooperative fund community projects in education, healthcare and business development, and to build increased capacity to grow and process more coffee. One dollar from the sale of every package is donated to the Peace Kawomera Cooperative with the goal of raising an additional $74,000 over the course of this year to support peace and cooperation in Uganda.
Thanksgiving Coffee has committed to grow sales as the cooperative increases its production. "We are just fundraisers for small coffee-growing villages around the world," Katzeff affirmed. "The cultivation of coffee is a noble profession, one which, however, needs consumers. We urge people to buy, drink, and enjoy this wonderful tasting coffee from Peace Kawomera Cooperative.

I think this is such a cool idea. If you have a credit card, order a pound of coffee, from their website. It's no more expensive than a pound of Starbucks coffee, which, if you don't have a Tim Hortons near you, is the only kind of coffee to drink. Don't even get me started on Folgers...(the F word of coffee). This would make a great gift to those hard to shop for people, and a way to spend your money that you can feel good about. I don't know any Muslims that I can be kind to in the name of true Christian love, so to me, this is a cool opportunity.
Peter and I, because we don't really have a home church, look for unique ways to tithe our money. This is one of those ways. We haven't gotten the coffee yet, but I'll keep you posted on how it is.

5 Response to "Delicious Peace"

  1. footsack Says:

    very interesting post. I will be sure to look them up sometime. It's so hard to decide where to put your money when there is just so much need all around.

  2. Unknown Says:

    Ah, the best of both worlds... helping other people AND getting great coffee. Kyle has a credit card, so I may have to order myself some. I am very picky about my coffee, and I'd rather help them than Starbucks. :) Starbucks is doing well enough without my purchase, I'm sure.

  3. Carol Says:

    I will try to remember to give it a try.

    Thank for the post, and I agree with Carrie. What a great thing to support. I await your post once you get your coffee.

  4. Kathy Says:

    *sniffle* I don't have a credit card anymore. I had to freeze it *lol*. It really is amazing though, to hear of three diffrent religious groups, who are able to work together. Such a thing is rare. Let me know how the coffee is?

  5. Melanie Says:

    Okay, my order didn't go through, I messed it up. So I've been checking my mail when nothing ever came off my credit card. And now we're moving so I don't know how to get this mailed to me...sigh. Someone else want to try it and tell me how it is? Then when we get to Canada, I'll order some.