Merry, Merry Christmas

12.22.2006 12:43 PM 11 2009 Melanie
I likely won't have another moment to blog before Christmas, and will upload some pictures after that. Becky's post really got me thinking today. Peter's grandmother is very sick. She's in the ICU in Wyoming, and will be there through Christmas, which is difficult on their family. If you've met her, even for a few minutes (she was at our wedding) you'll know what an incredible woman she is. In a nutshell, she was a sweet little rich girl, that much to the chagrin of her father, ran away with a missionary boy, and raised five children in India. This woman defines brave to me, and will tell you stories about their life there that would make you sit dumbfounded, in shock that this tiny little woman has seen and been through so much. Please, if you think of it, pray for her, and Peter's family. We need Grandma around a little longer. We were planning to get her in front of a video camera with some tea, sometime very soon, and ask her to just talk. Tell us about India, about Grandpa (who has been gone for 20 years now). Tell us about falling in love, about having a baby in a strange country. Tell us about Grandpa killing the man eating tiger and saving your village and your family (this did actually happen - told you she was special). I need to hear her stories, I need to have my children hear them one day.

I saw some dumb movie once, a long time ago, and though I don't remember the plot at all, I remember one scene, with such clarity:
A family has just lost their entire livelihood. The family business has burned to the ground in a freak fire. They were struggling before, now they're pretty much destitute. As they sit among the rubble together, the single mom puts her arms around her kids and smiles a real smile of true relief and joy, and says, "It's okay. As long as we're all still here and together, it's just been a bad day."

Sometimes I forget that. It's just been a few bad days, and when you look at some times over this last year, not even that. I don't have to deal with a loved one dying days before Christmas. My husband is healthy and happy and we have an incredible relationship that amazes me sometimes. There's a silly song that I love that says, "I'm short on money, but I'm long on time / Slowly strolling in the sweet sunshine." That's where we're at. We're okay, we've got a little money, and more debt, but we're young, and we all have each other. My baby sister is a single mom, and has been through a lot of rough times, but all I have to do is look at that baby boy, and the way she is with him, to know that she's going to be okay. You should see little Luke light up when he sees his mom, and the way she does too. It's beautiful and very often makes me tear up with the sheer delight of watching them together. I have good friends, and may get to see an old friend for New Years, that I haven't seen in five years. Life is good. It's really, really good.

So that's it. I hope that all you in Saskatchewan have a wonderful time this Christmas. Eat too much, laugh too much. Play a good game of Balderdash, and please someone keep and blog the best answers (I'm thinking Becky would maybe be sentimental enough to do this?) Help do the dishes afterward, a lot of great conversation happens in the kitchen after a big meal. Enjoy each other and don't think about money, or obligations or being a grown up. Let your kids eat too many sweets, and eat some yourself. For the love of all that is good, please don't diet, wait til January. For all of you who I'm not going to see, and haven't seen in so long, I miss you. Someone remember to give Grandma and Grandpa a big hug from me. Take a lot of pictures, as will I, and we'll see you after the holidays!
Love you all - melanie.

8 Response to "Merry, Merry Christmas"

  1. Unknown Says:

    I think that someone should also keep all of the good ones for the Balderdash game that will likely - no wait, had BETTER - ensue and Auntie Margaret's. I can do it, if no one volunteers.

    I agree with you, you know. I'm unfortunately pessimistic, and start thinking life sucks, but does it really? It's not that bad, and here's a time to be happy for what I have, then upset at what I don't. Merry Christmas, Melanie.

  2. Margaret Says:

    Everything you say is so true. We all have so much to be thankful for. Allysyn (the daughter God gave me in Alberta) went to the funeral of her very best friend on Tuesday. Steph was 6 months pregnant, had turned her life over to God, was marrying the father of her baby and love of her life. She was on her way to her parents house with her fiance driving behind her when she was killed when an oncoming semi lost his load of pipe on her car. Her parents and fiance now have a funeral to remember at Christmas every year instead of a wedding. We are such a blest family.
    My Christmas prayer is that we all have another Christmas to put in the book of "Wonderful Braun Holidays." Merry Christmas everyone.

  3. footsack Says:

    That is so sad about that girl. Becky also went to a funeral the other day and my heart breaks for that family
    I am so thankful for the family we have on the island and that all my kids are close this Christmas. I also have a wonderful little grandson to spoil this Christmas so yes, we are all very blessed.

  4. Unknown Says:

    We never did play Balderdash. I am sad.

  5. Unknown Says:

    Oh, I just read that comment, Auntie Margaret. That is so awful! I'm so glad that we didn't have to go through something like that.

  6. Sue Says:

    That was a beautiful post Mel. I do pray that you and Peter have more time with his Grandmother. She sounds wonderful.

    I am so glad you all had a great gathering. I hope that someday soon we can have one with EVERYONE there. We will miss you all on the 30th. Merry Christmas!!

  7. arimich Says:

    Shen dan jie kwai le! God bless you and Peter and your family this Christmas.

  8. Becky Says:

    Love ya Mel. Merry Christmas.