12 Days to Go!

12.13.2006 2:56 PM 11 2009 Melanie
I'm never going to make it. Really, I'm not...This year, is my most organized to date. I was finished my shopping on December 2nd, and had my tree up and decorated that night. I have made Christmas cookies three times so far, and only burned one batch, though surprisingly, the Pillsbury ones (Peter inhaled them anyway). But now I've been ready for Christmas for ten days already. I really just want to give Peter his gift, and see his face. And to lay in bed on Christmas night with him, playing my new DS (I'm so romantic).

Today I'm hiding out in my mom's office, under the guise of listening for Luke, who is sleeping across the hall. Poor Ethan and Connor are homeless today, since the power is out at their house and has been for two days. So their mom and dad are moving them to their new apartment, and my mom and I are watching them and baby Lu. It's not too bad, but it is a handful, since two of the boys are little and need to be held, changed, fed, put down for naps, picked up from naps, and the other little boy is suffering a little from cabin fever. Can't say I blame him. I'm beginning to think that Carolyn and every other stay at home mom should get super hero suits and have parades thrown for them every Tuesday.

In completely unrelated news, I have put a hole in our new Civic. Crap-O. I had a small accident in the McDonalds parking lot with the town prostitute (true story). She was on the wrong side of the "road" and I was coming up an exit and I hit her tire. I've never been screamed at like that in my life, we put on quite a show for the seniors. Had I not been so upset, I would have realized right away that she was on something (either crack or meth, I wish it had just been pot...I'd have bought her a burger and we'd have had a good giggle). I put a hole the size of a serving plate in our bumper. Peter says you can "barely notice it" which makes us all laugh. Luckily, there's no structural damage, it's only the bumper and it can be replaced. We have been doing a little research, and because Civic's are one of the most popular cars to turn into street racing cars, we can actually get body kit for it for cheaper than the original bumper at a dealership, so we may do that whenever we can afford it. Peter may actually thank me for this eventually. The next day I was nearly killed by an idiot who ran a red light, and I've never been so terrified on the road before then. Somehow we managed not to hit each other, and he sped off before I could get a plate number. I just pulled over and tried to get my heart to keep beating at a somewhat normal pace. I'm now sure that Grandma drives with more abandon than I do. I make Peter drive most places and am so edgy in the car that he can barely stand it. When I drive, it's in the slow lane, 10 kms under speed limit unless I force myself not to, and if you cut in front of me or do anything I deem mildly unsafe, I honk like there's no tomorrow. Honestly, I need to relax, but the moment I think I'm going to be fine, something happens. Two nights ago, another idiot ran a red light in front of Peter and had he not seen it, that stupid woman on her cell phone would have come into my door at about 50 kms an hour. It's almost eerie lately, maybe God is trying to show me how hard he works to keep me safe all the time, but though I'm becoming deeply thankful every time we arrive home safely, I'm also becoming insanely paranoid. There's a straight-jacket and some Prozac wrapped in pretty paper under the tree for me, I'm sure.

I'll try and get some pictures of my house all Christmas-y up very soon. It has just become very quiet in the house, and I should go see what's wrong and give my poor mom a hand. And maybe spike her coffee with some Bailey's.I'm also going to call town hall and see about getting those Tuesday parades started.

1 Response to "12 Days to Go!"

  1. Unknown Says:

    Haha, no one else commented but me, boy I feel special. :P

    Unlike you, I'm NOT ready for Christmas. I haven't even STARTED shopping (though I have a pretty good idea what I'm getting everyone), the Christmas tree (my parents old 35 year old one, by the way) is up and has lights, but the decorations are still sitting next to it in the box). But I went to my parents and shook all my presents and made chocolates with her and Inge, and baked cookies with Carlie the week before that. So, I've got lots of Christmas goodies. No actual food, but sweets galore.

    Man, the prostitute story... awesome. At first, I read to fast and didn't see the "tire" in the sentence, and read that you hit the prostitute and it left a huge hole on your car. And I thought, "Man, those must have been some insane platforms/stilettos she was wearing. Did you tear her fishnet stockings?" But then I realized. Still funny, though the hole in your bumper sucks.