please oh please oh please....

1.23.2007 10:06 AM 11 2009 Melanie
As we all know, some things in life just make me happy. A clean house, fresh sheets, an evening with Peter in front of the fireplace with some good coffee in pretty mugs...

So here's the thing. I adore food (as evidenced by these darned 20lbs I'm trying to lose). It's not even just the eating aspect of it. I love it all. I love dishes, I love kitchen gadgets, I love appliances. I love to cook. I love trying something new, just to see if I can make it, and how good it tastes. I'm a pretty good cook, I rarely burn things, and most of my recipes come out pretty well, if I do say so myself. I love good wine and pairing it with good food. I love eating out. I love having others cook for me, just to see how they make things. I love cooking shows on TV and watch the Food Network all the time.
This, for example, is Mario Batali's new cookware line, which I love. It's all porcelain plated cast iron, and I'm dying to try it out. It's rather pricey, however, so I'm not sure when that chance will ever arise...Just to be silly, I went to this site, and re-did my kitchen. Dishes, cookware, all the things I love to look at and would love to try or have one day. In about a half hour, I spent a total of $17,350.28 pretend dollars. Don't gasp in shock, you go try it. My wine glasses alone set me back a total of about $4,000...I didn't even know you could spend that on wine glasses, maybe they come with wine?

Anyway, as most of you know, I've been handing out resumes like crazy, trying desperately to get a decent job. Yesterday I had two interviews...the first went badly simply because it apparently takes them three weeks to decide if this overqualified applicant (aka: me) should start working at their grocery store, and they made me get up insanely early to tell me that at my first interview...morons...

The second interview of the day went really well. It's at a -get this- specialty cooking store. It's so pretty, in Qualicum Beach, and I could just browse in there for hours... It would just be the two people that run it, and me if I get hired, and they're pretty much wanting someone to give them some time off. It's only about 20hrs a week to start, but they expect to give me more if I'd like it (umm, yes please!) and they are just such nice people. He instantly reminded me of Mario Batali himself, and I tried not to call him Iron Chef in the interview...
They asked if I'd be fine working alone, doing some light cleaning (do these people know me?) and if I was creative enough to use their products in making table displays and things like that...The hours are great...I want this so badly. The interview went well, they said how impressed they were with my resume and cover letter (apparently nobody does those anymore), and that they were doing five interviews. I was number two. They're supposed to call anytime now and I'm nervous. So I sat here to try and distract myself, and I did this, which has got me thinking about it more and more, and drank a huge cup of coffee, which means I'm nervous and caffeinated.
These are the glasses, by the way. They don't look like $4,000 to me, though they are really pretty...and would match that black and white dish set really well. I may start pretend shopping at a lot of places, it's like window shopping, only in your housecoat. If I get the job, I'll put it in the comments section of this post. If I don't say anything, it's because I'm too depressed that they gave it to someone else...Even the thought of it makes me want to cry a little. If you read this within the hour after I post it, please pray...

8 Response to "please oh please oh please...."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    wow! i can see how you can spend 17 thousand dollars on dishes that are that pretty. i went onto the MAC make up site....wow! i could spend just about that much on there. just on make up crap too. its fabulous though. Love the dishes though they are super lovely!!!
    robyn

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Geez...they said they'd call me yesterday around lunch...nothing. I called today around lunch and they said there were three of us they had to choose between, me included, and they'd call me tonight. They told me that my interview had gone really really well and they were really impressed with me. I waited all day...nothing. I'm about to rip out my hair. I'll keep you all posted, as I know you're riveted by my personal drama here...lol

  3. Sue Says:

    Still praying. This sounds like the ideal job for you Melanie. I really hope this works out for you.

  4. Unknown Says:

    Oh, wow, what a fabulous job! I really really hope that works out for you. Quite a ways to drive everyday, though, but hey, it's better than nothing. I'd go and see how much pretend money I could spend on that site, but as I have negative money I can spend in real life, it would just make me too depressed, I think.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    They gave it to someone else, but they were so sorry about it, that he went and reccommended me to Elena's Bakery in QB so I have an interview there today. Here's hoping. I'm not too concerned about the drive to Qualicum, as much as I'd be thrilled about the hours there. I want to work days and since everything in QB is closed at 6pm and on Sunday, it would work perfectly for me...we'll see I guess.

  6. Carol Says:

    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the job. I hated the fact that allmy blogs are bookmarked, and I didn't get a chance to check them out while I was away freezing my butt off in SK and AB.

    Saying a prayer for your interview with the bakery.

  7. Unknown Says:

    Awww, I'm sorry Melanie. But at least they were nice about it, and hopefully the next interview goes well. Then you can work nearly across the street from Carlie and I. :P

  8. Sue Says:

    Sorry to hear about the job thing Melanie. Maybe the other person won't like it, have to move far away or win the lottery and won't need the job and they will call you back. You never know! In the meantime I hope you find something you'll enjoy.