Shocked and Slightly Amazed

1.12.2007 2:41 PM 11 2009 Melanie
We haven't had a good long post this year yet, so voila:

I love housework. Love it. I like doing it alone, I'm not really a big fan of having help around the house, probably because I don't have kids. Peter cleans the bathroom occasionally, and very often cleans up dinner if I cook, but as far as a good day of cleaning up, I like it on my own. I'm too bossy, I'm constantly showing Peter how to fold a sheet or telling him that the cheese grater goes in the corner cupboard, not the drawer. Or I tell him to just watch TV, which I'd rather him do, and then he feels guilty for not helping. Much of this is made up to me in nice long backrubs, which I'd rather have any day.

Today though, I especially love housework. This week (to make a long, complicated story short) I found out that a job I had been thinking I would be able to do for the last two months, is pretty much out of the question. I will soon be going to hand out my resume and hoping for a secretarial position somewhere, or maybe a bank teller job. Either way, due to this recent development, Peter and I were figuring we'd have to move from our beautiful little suite. We're driving to Parksville all the time, and our expenses are pretty high right now. We even found a little basement suite in Qualicum Beach that wasn't too bad, and would save us about $200-$300 per month. By "not too bad" I should clarify: everything but the bathroom and the kitchen were not too bad. Those made me want to cry. Especially the bathroom. Anyway, we pretty much told the lady we'd take it, pending a talk with our landlords.

I can't really describe the disappointment here. We love the people upstairs not to mention where we're living now. We got a Christmas gift from them, they give us stuff all the time (like beautiful lawn furniture), take our garbage out if we forget, and are simply wonderful people. Peter and I went upstairs to help her out with her computer, and with great sadness eventually told her the situation. "We simply can't afford to stay here." We'd have barely been making it, and it just didn't seem like we could do that just because we loved the place. She asked us what we'd be saving by moving to Parksville, we told her and that was pretty much it. She promised to talk to her husband and get back to us.

Five minutes later she was downstairs and offered us rent for $200 cheaper a month, for a three month period. We'll talk to her in April again about whether or not we can afford to go back to the regular rent. They really like us and don't want the trouble of possibly getting terrible tenants in here. She left and two seconds later I was just in tears. As far as I know, these are non-Christian people, with no reason whatsoever to do this for us. We're not the only quiet couple in Nanaimo looking for a place to live, they'd have found someone, I'm sure. This is money straight out of their own pockets. They've essentially just given us $600 and the time to get on our feet again.

The thing was, we weren't being ripped off before. We have a brand new suite, full cable (especially upgraded for us for no cost), we have high-speed Internet and bc hydro (power and water). We have a natural gas hook up so that in the summer, we can barbecue without using propane. We have a beautiful view, and we are literally a 15 minute walk from the mall, the grocery store, Tim Hortons, and a bunch of other great places. It was a great deal to begin with. We're now paying less than the rent would have been at the "Place With the Depressing Bathroom" which would have also had more bills to pay. I loved cleaning my bathroom today. I love my washer and dryer more than ever. I love my pretty floors and cupboards, and cleaning out my fridge.

A little while back, a couple of months ago, I talked to someone about something that was really important to me. (Stop fussing, it's none of you). I was pretty vulnerable, and really needed some reassurance and a little encouragement. Just someone to listen. I got the opposite and I was really surprised and more than a little hurt. This was someone who I thought would absolutely come through for me. It would have cost them nothing at all to do so and they didn't. They were a bit too wrapped up in their own lives and their own issues to worry about mine. I was rather blown away. I've been feeling like that a lot lately, and occasionally feeling it about God. "Help us out here, we only want a little more money to get Peter a visa, pay off some debt, and go into ministry! Where are you? Don't you care?" I know it's wrong but things have been difficult lately, and up and down, and scary for me. And then this happens. Sacrificial kindness from virtual strangers. You know God is up there shaking his head a little at me...

I think this is one of the most beautiful parts about being alive, maybe second only to falling in love. Having someone come through for you in a way that you wouldn't have even thought to expect. In a way that costs them and helps you, and in a way that you know you don't deserve. We could have lived in the Ugly Bathroom House, lots of people live in much, much worse. But we're here. I get to clean my pretty little suite, and know that I'm being taken care of by a God that really doesn't care what means he needs to use to show me his love for me. Lucky, lucky me. I'm an idiot if I ever think otherwise. Gotta run, my laundry just beeped.

5 Response to "Shocked and Slightly Amazed"

  1. Unknown Says:

    You know, upon reading the first part of this post, I was ready to complain about how much cleaning sucks, and how I hate it. But now, after reading the rest, I should be happy that I at least have a place to clean right now. It's hard right now, but I still have it. They sound so nice!!

  2. arimich Says:

    I'm so happy for you. Thanks for sharing your encouragement with us. :)

  3. Sue Says:

    So happy that you get to stay in your place, at least for a few more months. By then who knows what will be. Hope you get the perfect job too.

  4. Margaret Says:

    Mel, I loved reading your post. I am so happy for you that you get to stay in yopur lovely little suite. I still haven't come for coffee with you and I would love to do that. Maybe I should bring all my kids along so that you could really enjoy cleaning when we leave. :)

  5. footsack Says:

    I am glad you get to stay too. I felt bad that I was going to miss your move.