Summer Reading List

7.26.2006 10:44 AM 11 2009 Melanie
There's something about a good book, that I think, out-does a good movie any day of the week. I love books. One day, I want my own library, just a little one. Some place with big chairs and a comfy throw blanket, and a little coffee bar, now that I'm dreaming about it. I've been meaning to post what I've been reading lately, and recommend some great books I've found. If you're interested then that's great. If you have reading suggestions for me, that's even better.
Currently Reading:
Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin - I loved the movies, but never actually read anything by her before now. Liking this one so far. It's in a collection with Mansfield Park, and Persuasion, so I'm looking foward to those. Jane's a little wordy though, so I need to read this in peace and quiet, so I don't get distracted by the subtleties in what she writes.
The Horse and His Boy - CS Lewis - Read it before, but Peter and I are reading the entire Chronicles to each other and this is where we're at so far. This is a much better way to spend an evening than watching TV. If I ever get my own horse, I'm naming him after the boy in this story, Shasta. I adore these books, every one, though this may be my favorite. It's between that or Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The Last Battle makes me cry my eyes out. As soon as we're done the Chronicles of Narnia, we're moving on to Tolkien. I've got the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit in collectors editions, they're so beautiful I just want to look at them and smell them. They were Peter's anniversary gift.
My Utmost for His Highest - Oswald Chambers - This is a devotional I do with my quiet times. I like it a lot, he's very challenging, and says things in a way that's to the point. Big fan of this one, but it's slow going of course. I'll likely finish in a year or so. Maybe.
Voices of the Faithful - Beth Moore - Another devotional, each day is written by a different missionary. It's neat. I love missionary stories. Again, will likely be done in a year or so.
The Cure for the Common Life - Max Lucado - Okay, I have kind of quit reading this one. I loved the first few things I read of his, but now, it just seems like his writing is all the same. This book seems to be Waking the Dead by John Eldridge, but not as gripping a read. Note: read Waking the Dead by John Eldridge. Read anything by him. They (Max's books) just seem so....I don't know. Gimickey maybe? I loved some of his other books, but though he has good things to say, the way he writes just distracts me. I've given up on this one I think. Maybe I'll give it to someone. Any takers? Now that I've made it sound so great?
Book Recommendations:
Peter and I also listen to books on tape, especially when we go on roadtrips. The one we just finished was called Locked Rooms, written by Laurie R King. She writes books about Sherlock Holmes and his wife, Mary Russel. She's clever and funny, and her mysteries are great. I read another of her books, A Darker Place, but it suprised me with a needless sex scene (the Sherlock Holmes books were very tame), and other than that, it was good, but a little, well, dark I guess.
Peter is reading Black, White, and Red, by Ted Dekker, which are very good and I highly recommend. However, Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti wrote a book together called House - not very good at all. Don't spend the money. I was very suprised at how cheesy and, well, lame it was. Anything else by Ted I like, and anything else by Frank, for that matter. Weird. Maybe it's like ice cream, and lasagna. Both are yummy, don't mix them.
If you have, for some reason, not read the Voice in the Wind trilogy by Francine Rivers, spend the money. Buy them all, you'll read them at least twice. Peter's best friend Eric loved them, said he cried so many times reading them that he couldn't begin to count. They are incredible, and they are next on Peter's recommended reading list, as given to him by his wife. They're brilliant as are most things by Francine Rivers. Redeeming Love may be my next favorite though. I've read it about four times. The Last Sin Eater, and the Atonement Child are her next best and in that order.
There you have it. Pick up a book, grab a cold drink and go lay in the sunshine. Gosh, that sounds good right now. If I weren't so unbelievably sunburned, I'd be gone. Ah well, I'll grab another coffee and get back to Mr. Darcy, and the lovely Bennet girls. Except Lydia, I can't stand that little brat. Hope she falls down a well.

7 Response to "Summer Reading List"

  1. Kathy Says:

    I love books!! I have read Jane Austin's book, Pride and Prejudice. Good book, but really hard to get into. I only started to like it when I was 3/4 into the novel. Hated Lydia and her mom, but I guess you need annoying characters. They drove me crazy! I have a few books you may like to read, I'll have to give them to you when you come out in October. I tryed to read 'crime and punishment', but wow! Really hard to get into every characters name is 15 letters long!!

  2. Carol Says:

    I can't even remember the last time I sat down to read a good book. I did start "Memoirs of a Geisha" but I think Carrie has gotten further along in the book than I have. She reads it when she comes over to our house.

  3. footsack Says:

    Come over and visit my library and you can read almost anything you want. (although I think you already have) I can offer you a nice cold drink on my deck though. I also love to read. I am terrible though because when I start one, I don't put it down until it's done. I am reading Joy Fielding now. I have about 6 of her books. Very good but she is not a Christian author.

  4. Margaret Says:

    Hey! I am reading Joy Fielding, too! It's called "Run Jane Run" and it comes from your Mom's library. OK. I think I will take my book, go to Mitz's and, after the comment on my blog about being old, I will get a Smirnoff Ice from her and sit on her deck and read. OK. Maybe we'll just sit and talk.

  5. Unknown Says:

    I'm reading the Chronicles of Narnia... still. But I'm nearly done, I'm just about finished The Last Battle. It's my book I read at work. At home I'm reading the 11th book of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and at my parents Memoirs of a Geisha. And yes, Mom, I am ahead of you. Next on my list? I'm not actually sure.

    I believe I've read those Francine Rivers books... doesn't Kathy have them?

  6. Sarah Says:

    Yes, I must say, even though I love movies, books beat them hands down. Nothing beats a quiet corner in an armchair (or a SUPER comfy large chaise like the ones me and Ryan fell in love with at the Brick clearance center) with me in it, curled up, reading a good book. I'm with you all the way with the dream of a library! Comfy big chairs and coffee just scream "Snuggle in a read a book!"
    I must have read the Chronicles of Narnia series atleast 6 times before I was old enough to read Tolkiens masterpieces. I love them, and have been wanting to read them again... it's cute that you're reading them to each other. Probably the only way that Ryan and I could read them so that I don't finish all the series in like 2 days. I can't put those books down. Just like Lord of the Rings... and I cry at the end of those books every time. No movie has ever gotten me to cry. I was close-ish for the Notebook, but mostly 'cause everyone else was weepy, and it's hard not to follow suite.
    My parents gave me Waking The Dead, and it's sitting somewhere here, or packed. I should read it. Then I should let Kat read it.
    I read that book House. I totally agree with you Mel. I didn't really get it. And I had my hopes up 'cause everything else by either of those authors is awesome.
    And yes I know that this is a long comment, so this is the last part... totally agree with you on the Voice in the Wind trilogy by Francine Rivers. I own it and have read it numerous times, and it's always amazing. Francine is another amazing writer.
    Well, there you go. Maybe I'll write up something on books sometime in my blog. I could probably go on forever. LOL

  7. Kathy Says:

    Yup Carrie I do have those books and I love them...If anyone wants to borrow them let me know :) And now I'm sad because I have never read the entire Chronicles before. Just 'the Lion the Witch and the Wardorobe'. Hmmm...I think I already know what I want for christmas :)