Playing Mom and Playing Pirates....

9.30.2006 11:23 AM 11 2009 Melanie
I'll give you two guesses which I like more. The mom thing is very overwhelming, and I have nothing but respect for women who do it full time. Can't wait to be one...or maybe I can.
I've been babysitting my niece Naomi three times a week and have been having a blast, but like most four year olds, like most people actually, she had an off day a while back and was being rather naughty. Now, her mom counts to three when she's being bad, and usually gets the proper response at about "two and a half". I've done the counting thing with her, and again, usually works. Thank God, because I don't know what to do at "three" but a week ago I found out. I was telling her to do something and got zero response, other than a totally straight face and some blinking which I took to mean utter defiance. It was time to test how far "Auntie Mellie" could be pushed. The day had to come sometime I guess. So after "one", "two", "c'mon Naomi, time to listen please...please?" my fears came to pass. I spanked her. Rather wimpily (word? not a word?). I tried not to be scared, tried not to show that I did not want to do this at all. Tried to keep a straight face. I thought I did a pretty good job even though the swat itself lacked force, or heart... Dead serious, she looks up at me with these big brown eyes and says in the tone of a snotty 13 year old girl, "My mom gives better spankings than you do" and proceeds to do exactly what I asked. Had I not felt so insecure about my discipline abilities already, I'd have laughed my face off. Later the next time I babysat, when her mom showed up, Naomi tells her "Mom, I was a little bit naughty for auntie Mellie today". Then I laughed my face off.
She came over again yesterday and we got some great pictures, she was a total angel all day, and we had a blast with her. Looks like the spanking incident didn't harm our relationship much.
Me and Naomi playing in the tree.
Naomi and Peter making grass whistles. Actually, only Peter, since Naomi just put the grass to her mouth and tried to scream in a whistle-like manner. They were so cute playing together I took a million pictures, and told Peter we needed to start having our own kids, soon. He He He.
Naomi and Peter playing "Pirates". She was in a tree, and when Peter the Pirate tried to get to her, then she would kick him out of the tree and giggle like crazy when he fell out.
Peter, finally defeated, and exhausted.
Just gorgeous. There are few people in the world that Naomi loves as much as her "Uncle Petey". Can't say I blame her.

17 Response to "Playing Mom and Playing Pirates...."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    Awwww.

  2. Carol Says:

    Wonderful pictures. Tara disciplines Adam in the same manner. She counts, and never usually gets to 3. Or at least she didn't when they were here for their visit in Aug.

    You may want to tell Becky to quit hogging all the blog space with her long and drawn out comments. LOL

  3. Margaret Says:

    That counting thing works great with little kids. I have parented over 50 kids and have used it on most, but my 12 year old is challenging my creativity.
    Your niece is so cute. I love this story.

  4. Unknown Says:

    This is such a cute story and pictures. I'm going to be awful disciplining my kids, it's going to take a lot out of me. I already feel bad when I smack my cat, Patrick... even if I was really mad at him, I sometimes end up picking him up 10 minutes later and cuddling and apologizing to him. I'm such a sucker.

  5. Carlie Says:

    Aww, those are great pictures! I can't wait till you guys have kids, you both are going to be great parents!!! Love you both very much and we and ALMOST peeing our pants waiting for you :D:D LUB YA

  6. Anonymous Says:

    This will be my last comment for a bit because....I AM COMING OUT THERE TOMORROW TO BRING YOU BACK TO THE ISLAND...YAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am a wee bit excited, but not peeing my pants like Carlie. That was why she can't come with me after all. Shame! I just can't take the chance of her peeing in my truck.. lol
    Mom

  7. Unknown Says:

    Hooray, you're going too be here soon!!

  8. Unknown Says:

    Hooray, you're going too be here soon!!

  9. Anonymous Says:

    ok... you guys should stop in saskatoon on your way back to bc... coffee's on me

  10. Melanie Says:

    Sorry Trav, and any other Saskatchewanites that I'd love to see "on the way home". Stopping in Saskatoon for coffee is like you stopping in Montana on the way to BC, just a few hours and a few hundred miles out of the way, unfortunately. It turns an 18 hour trip into about a 35 hour trip. It sucks since we'd love to see everyone.... Wyoming is just so stinking far from EVERYTHING...wow, I can't wait to leave....

  11. Carol Says:

    By the time you see this, you will be here. Welcome Home, and hope to see you soon.

  12. Trav Says:

    welcome back to canada... even if you didn't stop in for coffee, i hope your trip, new house, and time with family were/are awesome and refreshing. God bless and have a great thanksgiving

  13. Anonymous Says:

    ok... you're back now.... this is the part where you post something new... just so you know... but yeah... post something moni

  14. Anonymous Says:

    post something....

  15. Anonymous Says:

    post something

  16. Anonymous Says:

    ok.... this is the part where you post something... i know you read these... you've commented on other blogs.... i think you should post something about being back in Canada.... so yeah....


    post something

  17. Anonymous Says:

    HEY MEL.....WHATS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS? CAN YOU EMAIL ME? ANGTRON@GMAIL.COM THANKS.

    PS - STOP IGNORING TRAV...I DON'T THINK HE CAN HANDLE IT.