Can Hardly Wait

11.14.2006 10:39 PM 11 2009 Melanie
If you've never heard of the band "Over The Rhine", before now, welcome. I love this band. I love her voice, I love how haunting and beautiful their music is and the way their lyrics reach out and grab you. The first time I ever listened to them was on an 18 hour train ride in India. It was hot, I felt ill, and so so tired. Peter gave me his discman and told me "hey, listen to this, I think you'd really like it". I was transported.
They're a husband and wife team, they're Christians, but they aren't exactly a Christian band, they're a little more outside the lines than that. They play clubs and churches, and write music that anyone can relate to regardless of what they believe. I don't think I'd call them happy music, not something to listen to when you're driving in the sunshine with the windows open. More of a driving through the rain in the dark after a hard day and needing something to validate what you feel as opposed to trying to cheer you up. It's romantic, it's quiet, it's more instrumental than a lot of stuff.
Anyway, at church on Sunday, we saw in the BC Christian Times laying next to the programs, that they were in Vancouver. On Wednesday. I called my mom and dad and told them that going to this concert would be better than anything they could get us for Christmas, we'd die to be able to go. They're playing in a little college chapel for a crowd of 250 if the tickets sell out we called this morning and they'd only sold 180. My wonderful parents, though firmly believing that a Christmas gift in November is a total crap idea, gave this to us as our early Christmas gift. We catch the ferry to Vancouver tomorrow and are going to spend the night, and come back on Thursday.
I'll post pictures when I get back. Until then, check out the link, listen to some music on the little player there. You can skip around if the current song doesn't catch your ear. My favorite may be "Jesus in New Orleans" and it's a good reflection of what they do. They're mildly controversial, but only to the church, though they're both firm believers. There's a few drinking references in their music, and once a cuss word in one song that I was surprised to hear, which is likely why it was there. I don't think this makes them "not a Christian band", since in the course of the day I've had a drink and likely said something I shouldn't. Their music is honest and heartfelt, and I love that about it. And tomorrow night I get to see them live. Thanks mom and dad. Merry Christmas to you, you're the best.
...so while I'm proof-reading this post, the player on the Over The Rhine site played the song "Latter Days" and it may be my new favorite. Nice stuff. Have a listen.

3 Response to "Can Hardly Wait"

  1. Anonymous Says:

    I like their sound. Tye really likes it, but then his taste in music is much more diverse than mine. I'm like your mom; I think early Christmas presents are wrong.

    Auntie Margaret

  2. footsack Says:

    Now on Christmas day you will get almost nothing and all the other kids will have nice stuff under the tree. Yes I think that sucks but then the gift is supposed to make the reciever happy not the giver so I hope you enjoy your concert,if the ferries are running by then. They are not running this morning because of high winds.

  3. Unknown Says:

    Oh yeah, I really like their music (what I listened to, anyway). Their sound is beautiful. It must be really exciting to see them in concert, I'm jealous. :D