What Christmas Means To Me

11.20.2006 8:25 PM 11 2009 Melanie
I'm such a heathen. Really I am: they may not let me into Heaven. I am ashamed to admit publicly here, that few things get me into the Christmas spirit like an eggnog chai latte from Starbucks, in the pretty Christmas paper cups. I don't even get the sleeves for the cup, even though the coffee then burns my hands, because I don't want to cover up the cup and ruin the experience, though the sleeves are really pretty this year (they gave me one without asking - stupid baristas with their customer service crap).
It may be an addiction. Last year, Peter's sister and I, -in a solitary Christmas shopping day- bought three. One when we left town for the trip, one for the walk around the mall, one after dinner for dessert. Peter and I are a little financially tight right now, as it's the end of the month, and I've bought at least three already. And one more because the drive-thru lady was slow in making one (again with the service at that place) so I got a coupon for a free one the other day. I've only known the Christmas drinks were out for a week. I have asked about their Christmas decorations in the store, because I want them. Especially the paper tree with the village cutout. Okay, I've likely lost you now. Laughing at me yet? Just wait, it's worse.
Peter and I were thinking of going to see a movie tonight. Instead, we went and looked around Future Shop for Christmas gift ideas, which of course required the aforementioned latte, and while in the Starbucks I again inquired about how I can get my little heathen paws on their decorations without actually committing som
e kind of crime, and then... I sacrificed our movie, to buy two of these. (Peter and I have a deal that I have to give something like that up if I want something completely frivolous - we borrowed a dvd from Robyn instead of going to the theatre)

It's an illness, I'm telling you. But I'm so excited. Now I can get up and have my morning coffee in one of the pretty cups. I can even look at my paper cup, figure out the cool barista code for the side of the cup, and write it on my new mug with a Sharpie. I can't tell you how this appeals to me. I don't care that in two months, they'll be packed away in a box to wait till next year. The idea of sitting in front of the Christmas tree, with a fire in my fireplace, with my new mug in my hands actually makes my heart flutter a little bit.
So there you have it. My colossal sin. I'm a Christmas consumer. I love the malls, the crowds, the presents (will blog about the wish list later), Santa, his reindeer, the trees, the lights, the music. I don't care if you say happy holidays, merry Christmas, or happy Hanukkah, I will smile at you and feel warm inside while scalding my hands on my expensive latte.

Note To All Good Christians: O Holy Night makes me cry, every single year. I love candlelit Christmas Eve services at church, and I really do think "Jesus is the reason for the season". I love Nativity scenes, and like every good Christian, I will go see the new Nativity Story this year. Promise. I made three shoe boxes for Operation Christmas Child, and wish I could have made thirty. I'm sorry if I've disappointed you, but indulge me
: Go to the nearest Starbucks right away. Ask for a grande chai eggnog latte. Get whipped cream and nutmeg on top. Walk out into the cold, looking at your pretty red paper cup and take a sip. I swear to you, it's like Christmas in a cup. If you can't afford it, let me know, and I'll mail you four bucks. After all, it's Christmas.

8 Response to "What Christmas Means To Me"

  1. Toad Says:

    I PROMISE NEXT TIME I GO READ AT A COFFEE SHOP I WILL GO TO STARBUCKS INSTEAD OF THE REALLY NICE LIVING ROOM WITH THEIR NICE BIG WARM CHAIRS AND SIT ON THE HARD CRAPPY ONES AT STARBUCKS AND DRINK YOUR DRINK.

  2. Carol Says:

    We all have our little things that bring us joy at Christmas. Yours happens to be a coffee from Starbucks. Amazing how some small things can bring us happiness at this time of year. Enjoy your new Christmas mugs.

  3. Unknown Says:

    You may think me blasphemous for even saying this on your blog: I don't like eggnog. Or whipped cream. And the thought of both together in a drink nearly turns my stomach. I'll stick with my mochas without whipped cream and LOTS of chocolate sprinkles.


    Okay, go ahead. You can smack me now. At least you enjoy it, which is what matters. And I have to say those mugs are FABULOUS. Depending on the movie, I may have also sacrificed it for those mugs.

  4. Becky Says:

    Ang has to read at coffee shops cause she is too scared to read her new book at home.

    I am a Christmas consumer also Mel. I love everything about it except how early they start. My only wish is that they could wait with the nativity scenes and Santas till they clear out the ghosts and pumpkins.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    Now I'm dying to know: what book are you reading Angie?

  6. footsack Says:

    I have yet to have one of them. I can't afford it. Bring me $4 bucks.

  7. arimich Says:

    Hey! I saw your mugs at Starbucks a few days ago and thought of you. Funny how things can be so much the same half a world apart, eh? Merry Christmas!

  8. Sue Says:

    I will try to remaber to try one of these drinks. I love eggnog, whipped cream amd the cups look really festive. I don't think I'll buy one. I have a lot of Christmas mugs already.