Get Outta My Way

11.09.2006 10:00 AM 11 2009 Melanie
I feel terrible admitting this, but some days, I just want everyone to see things my way. And not on issues of right and wrong, or any moral dillema, or any life question, but in things like, "tonight let's watch Iron Chef and not football highlights, not a one, not even while Iron Chef is on commercials." There is no excuse for this. I feel selfish lately. I am officially the biggest jerk alive. I am this obnoxious girl with her face in the camera (but isn't she cute?!)

Sidenote: my husband occasionally has to put up with a lot. He deals with this very very well, and did watch Iron Chef, a rerun no less, last night, and did the dishes during commercial breaks. I am lucky. Sometimes, I put up with a lot, but you just aren't going to read about that here. He's amazing, and as stated numerous times before, I am LUCKY. Maybe the luckiest girl alive.

Anyway, I work with all men. I live with only a man. Unless my mom comes into town to take me shopping, or Robyn pops over with Luke (as she is about to do momentarily) I sit alone in my house, hoping for an e mail message from work that gives me a task, which doesn't usually arrive due to a complication that I don't fully understand, but is completely normal, don't worry, check back tomorrow.

So lately, I've been feeling very selfish. You'd think, with all this time to myself, I'd have time to sit with my bible and read and become a better person, but I don't seem to. I just seem to be a bit edgy lately, and little things make me tense. I'm not angry, but I'm, well, crap, I'm a girl.

Anyway, I've decided to try and do some selfless things to balance myself out. Last night, I took my well deserving husband, made him a nice dinner, and after watching Lost (don't EVEN get me started) and then alas, Iron Chef, I told him he was going to have a nice relaxing bath. I made it smell all manly. I gave him a facial treatment and a glass of wine. And funnily enough, I felt better afterward. Getting my way doesn't always make me feel as good as I think it will in the moment. As cliche as it is, doing something nice for someone else, always makes me feel good. Every time.

Peter understands this. Last night I wanted to be taken out on the town, though financially right now, that's a dumb decision for us. Peter offered to make sandwiches for us instead. I got over myself and I made us a good dinner, and he cleaned up, and we had a great evening. Thank goodness I married someone who knows when to give me my way, get out of my way, or get in my way and tell me how silly I'm being.

6 Response to "Get Outta My Way"

  1. Margaret Says:

    Melanie, I am always entertained by your blog. Thank you God that there are still people who can raise men like Peter to be good husbands. As for being selfish at times; I often feel like that. Sometimes I indulge that selfish side and tell my kids to make their own dinner and if they want to watch TV with me they will watch what I watch or go downstairs. Unlike you, I do feel better after the fact.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    Too bad he wasn't by the swings in third grade. He probably would have told us that both our bathing suits made us wannabes! Could've saved our moms alot of trouble!

  3. Carol Says:

    Praise God that the men in our lives are understanding, and don't always do exactly as we want 100% of the time.

  4. footsack Says:

    Awwwww. You guys are good together. That is what I love about you both.
    I think that picture is adorable.

  5. kAsh Says:

    Hey mel...this has nothing to do with your blog..but i did read it..:) But i wanted to ask you about YWAM? did you go to Hawaii? Did you do a DTS? I donno i would email you but i don't have your email address...so yeah i just wanted to know more about YWAM and i'm pretty sure you did stuff with YWAM so i thought that i would ask and see what you did and like costs and stuff. Ummm..you can just comment on my blog..if you want to...if you want to reply. That would be awesome.
    God Bless
    Ashley

  6. Unknown Says:

    I think that everyone can be that way sometimes. Good thing that some people seem to know what's better for you then you do yourself.