My Music (thanks Carrie!)

3.26.2007 10:52 AM 11 2009 Melanie
First, it's amazing that I've got thing thing on my page. Carrie is the coolest. It looks dumb where it is, but maybe she can move it when she makes my new background...
Have a listen, there's a bunch of stuff on here that I love right now, and that I've loved forever and always will...
I'm a little selfish in my musical tastes. I can appreciate something for simply the talent it takes to produce it, but I won't listen to it in the car. Music is all about atmosphere to me, all about what it makes ME feel. I like what I like, and I don't usually apologize for what I don't. This drives Peter a little crazy. Take country for instance. I grew up with it, it's familiar to me, and I like it. I don't care that that isn't cool anymore, if it ever was. I enjoy it, and it makes me smile.
Lots of stuff reminds me of certain times in my life, most of this does actually. Dashboard Confessional for example, though they are the quintessential breakup-with-your-boyfriend/girlfriend-and-sit-in-a-disillusioned-stupor-for-days music, they make me so happy. I was introduced to them in Hawaii, right when I first got there, and everything in my life was beginning again, and we were driving to the beach. The girl driving had just broken up with her boyfriend-poor thing. I don't buy into the "emo" culture (or the word for that matter) but I love Dashboard. Not usually all the copycat bands that followed however. Just Dashboard.
I love fifties music, I love how romantic everything was then. It makes me wish I was born in a different era. I'd love to have seen Nat King Cole in concert, and couldn't care less if I ever saw U2 (though I have my favorite song of theirs on here too).
I love Willie Nelson and I don't care that he's a pothead. He's just got the greatest voice. I love Patsy Cline, because she makes me wish that country were that cool again. I LOATHE this new brand of redneck country that "artists" like Gretchen Wilson and Toby Keith are selling. It's all garbage. You don't have to live in a trailer park to enjoy country music, though it was a good marketing plot on their part I guess. All that untapped fan base with nobody making money from them but Kid Rock and a bunch of bands that don't exist anymore...
I love romantic music: Never Saw Blue Like That by Shawn Colvin, The Luckiest (WONDERFUL SONG) by Ben Folds Five, and Forever by Ben Harper (another pothead I love), which I would have walked up the aisle to had I known the song then.
I have a long standing love affair with songs that make me feel sad and alone. It's like people who enjoy scaring themselves with horror movies I suppose. I love Goo Goo Dolls - which was my first adult rebellion when I moved out of my mom's house. She trashed the "depressing devil music" and I missed it so much, even if I did lie to her and tell her it was Shawn's crap cd. I bought it again, as well as a couple of their other albums and love them all. Matchbox 20 is the same way. "Bright Lights" reminds me of the worst time in my life, and I actually had to stop listening to it for a long time simply because it made me dislike myself so much. Me and Matchbox have since made up, and I'm glad for it.
Then there's all the uplifting music, the worship songs, and things like Jack Johnson and John Mayer. I put "You Raise Me Up" on here simply because the song is great, but the first time I heard it, I was actually watching the music video, and I fell in love with that. Haven't seen it? Take a look! It's with the Cirque de Soliel dancers, and it makes me cry a little. It's amazing.
So there you have it. Some of my favorites. If you hate it, don't worry about it. Hit skip, there's 55 songs on there, you're bound to find something you'll like.

14 Response to "My Music (thanks Carrie!)"

  1. Carol Says:

    I don't think there is anyone out there who doesn't like music. There is always a song to bring back memories, whether they are good or bad memories.

  2. Unknown Says:

    Okay. MAN do I also hate Gretchen Wilson and Toby Keith's new stuff. "Redneck Woman" and "I Love This Bar" make me want to rip my hair out and shove it down their throats. ANYTHING to stop them from making those ridiculous shallow pieces of crap. I call songs like that "bubblegum country". Sure, they're sweet and fun for the first while, but eventually you realize there's just not a lot to them. They lose their flavor shortly afterwards, give you an awful aftertaste in your mouth, and you just want to spit them out.

    But anyway, I also adore matchbox twenty and Goo Goo Dolls and music like that. I think most people don't understand how I can ADORE songs that can be so sad, dark and depressing, but I do. Most of my favorite ones are like that. Even instrumental music can do that to me. Ever seen the movie Requiem For A Dream? Well, the theme from that movie is just so intense, I literally stop what I'm doing, close my eyes and just immerse myself in the emotions. I should see if I can find it and put it on my blog.

    By the way, your template is just about done. Just a couple finishing touches on the graphics, and then it's onto the HTML. Good thing I'm not writing it from scratch. I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make your player look any better than that, unless you want it at the bottom of your page instead of in the sidebar. Let me know. :D

  3. Unknown Says:

    Oh yeah, about some of the songs skipping. You have to make sure the song works and plays before you put it on your playlist. Just because it comes up doesn't mean it actually works. Click on the Add button, and then the play button to see if it works. If it doesn't play shortly, or at all, don't add it. Go back to the list and find one that will. Hope that helps.

  4. Melanie Says:

    yeah, I think I'd rather it be bottom center, than sitting right here.
    hey - we're on at the same time!

  5. footsack Says:

    I like some of it. Some I don't. What's new! I never did listen to Googoo Dolls. Just trashed the cd and that was that:)

  6. Unknown Says:

    Haha, crazy. :D

  7. Unknown Says:

    I figure you'll probably see this before an email. Anyway, you're template is finished. Go here to see what it looks like, and let me know if there's anything you want changed/added/removed. :D

  8. Trav Says:

    i'm a weird one... i like music... and as much as it pains me... there are very few real musicians that i do not like... i don't like toby keith but that's not based on his music... i think the guy has an incredible amount of talent... i just hate his attitude, particularily about canadians. i like gretchen wilson... i think she has a phenomenal voice... i can't stand shania twain... the only way i would ever go to a concert would be if i could bring a high powered rifle. johnny cash, enough said, the man is my hero... i like a lot of the old country, johnny horton, willie nelson, waylon jennings, randy travis, nitty gritty dirt band, i like blue grass, ricky skaggs, allison krauss...
    i love music like damien rice, i like dave matthews a lot too, i like some jeff buckley... i really like the talented soft stuff... the stuff that shows "raw talent"

    i like some rock... i'm sick of bands like three doors down, matchbox 20 and every other pearl jam wannabe... i like some of the old stuff... i enjoy the occasional ac\dc and metalica (sorry mom) i like bands like everclear, i like collective soul and goo goo dolls...

    i like the oldies too, i like everything from righteous brothers, everly brothers, and elvis, to richie valens, the big bopper, and jerry lee lewis.

    i guess i'm a connoisseur of musical talent... either that or a high class musical whore

  9. Trav Says:

    oh yeah... i'm also a huge u2 fan... there's something that has to be said about a band that's been putting out #1's for almost 30 years... and the fact that they haven't seriously compromised their sound... i think they've got an amazing history as a band, and again... talent coming out the wazoo

  10. Carol Says:

    Carrie, that blog template looks totally AWESOME!!!!!

  11. Unknown Says:

    Oh man, I just saw that you have Anna Begins by the Counting Crows. I LOVE that song!! :D

  12. Anonymous Says:

    I LOVE THE TEMPLATE!!!

    Wowee. It's amazing. It's me. I love the way you did the quote.

    I'm gonna e mail you.

  13. Becky Says:

    I. Love. Josh. Groban.

    That is all.

  14. Unknown Says:

    I'm so glad you like the template! It makes me so happy when I create something for someone, and they appear genuinely pleased, as opposed to, "Oh, well, that's nice."