Something old, new, borrowed, and BLUE!

3.29.2007 8:32 PM 11 2009 Melanie
So it seems that I've been remodeling everything a bit lately. Last week I sold some DVD sets that I wasn't watching and Peter hated anyway, and had $80 to spend on anything I wanted. I wanted a new bedroom. When we bought our bedroom set, we picked a fairly neutral colored bedspread so that if I wanted a change I could have one without having to spend hundreds of dollars, and wasting all the nice stuff I already had.
REFERENCE:
This is what my bedroom used to look like:

I felt like I was on trading spaces. "Melanie, you have one afternoon, $80 and a bedroom that matches everything else in your house. It's great, but it needs some "wow" some "spark". Something that sets it apart as a romantic haven, rather than an attachment from your living room". Anyone who has been to my house knows that everything in it is either brown, ivory, red, black, or possibly orange. In every room. So the bedroom was starting to feel a little bland. I've been missing colors like blue or green lately.
I needed new sheets to give the bedroom a new look. And all the sheets we have are presents from others, and are really nice. From doing some price comparison shopping, I realized that the people who bought our sheets spent lots on them. More than I have ever spent of sheets, more money than I have now. We love those people by the way. The cheapest sheet set I found was $40 at WalMart, and they just felt like really thin cardboard. Scratchy. Peter would have none of this. Why in the WORLD would we change a perfectly nice bedroom, put our expensive sheets in a drawer and sleep on scratchy sheets just because they were a different color, and Melanie needed a change?! Besides, she'd be sleeping anyway, who cares what color they are?
After much searching, at a specialty bedding store in the mall (Quilts Etc, for those Nanaimo folk - GO BUY SHEETS) I found a clearance sale. Beautiful silky 300 thread count sheet sets in a variety of colors. They were about the same price as the pillowcases I wanted at Home Outfitters (that store is a racket). They were the right color, I was sold. Now all I needed was accessories to match. I had some lamps in other rooms I could take, I had a picture that had been looking out of place for a while above my dining room table, but my side tables, and my decorative pillow would need to be bought. I bought fabric from a clearance bin at WalMart for the tables, and a new pillow from Home Sense. Voila! It worked, I was exactly on budget, my sheets feel divine, and I actually introduced a new color and a slightly more feminine touch to our bedroom. Take a look! Peter is still getting used to the silky material on the side tables, and the fact that I added a swath of the same material over the closet.He will love it very soon. It just takes him a while to process new information.


I love blue and brown together. For some reason it makes me think of Hawaii, and that makes me think of summer. I love the little rug that I threw in the room, and the way our office lamps look. I love the new look and the fact that it looks different than all the red you see everywhere else in the house. When you walk into the bedroom now, it looks completely different to me. And if you open the drapes to see the ocean outside, it ties together beautifully. I'm very excited, as much about the new look as the great deals I found. So now I've added for your enjoyment, some fun facts about sheets that I never knew before:
-Thread count on sheets means virtually nothing. I bought once, for the low price of $80 US dollars :P 1200 thread count sheets. I was expecting heaven. Literally. The highest thread count I'd ever seen in a store was 800 and that was only once. I was so excited when I crawled into bed that first night. Not so great. I thought maybe they'd been starched in the packaging, so I washed them and loaded them with fabric softener. Twice. Nada. They are our least comfortable sheets. They pill in the dryer, and I have no patience for them. None.
-If you take normal everyday WalMart sheets not the really cheap ones that you buy for college or ywam, but the middle of the road ones, and IRON THEM, you will be amazed at how much softer they are. Ironing sheets is an instant way to make them softer, and was proven in blind tests to be much more comfortable than unironed sheets with higher thread counts. You don't even have to iron them every time you wash them, maybe every other, or every third time. They'll stay nice and soft. Who knew? If you are my mother, spend the money on great sheets to begin with and save yourself the complete insanity of ironing sheets. If you are me, and you need the smell of fabric softener, slip a bounce sheet between your comforter and your top sheet. Or three. (I put bounce sheets everywhere, even in pillowcases)
There you have it. A new blog and a new bedroom. Lucky little me.

5 Response to "Something old, new, borrowed, and BLUE!"

  1. footsack Says:

    Great bedroom! I once spent an INSANE amount of money on my bedroom when I shopped at Pacific Linen. For the amount of money I spent on my sheets, those suckers should have washed themselves. Not only did I have to wash them myself, but the entire top ruffle thing twisted when I dried them. I just go to Sears now. Right down the middle for price and they are just great.

  2. Unknown Says:

    Ooh, I like it a lot! I also LOVE brown and blue together. It's one of my favorite color combinations. Ironing sheets? Yeah, I don't have the patience for that. But our sheets that we bought from Wal-Mart are nice and soft, especially right after they are washed. That is good enough for me. I'd do the thing with the Bounce sheets, but Kyle doesn't like the smell as much as I do. Maybe just on my side? That would work.

  3. Carol Says:

    The bedroom looks good. Love the colors. In regards to ironing sheets, I don't think I will go there. I do have an iron, but I am sure by now there are cob-webs on it.

  4. Kathy Says:

    Nice Colours. That's too funny, last night I finished my gift registry at the Bay and the bedroom set I picked is brown and blue! It's a popular color combination.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!