Why WHY Can't We All Just Get Along?

3.20.2007 6:12 PM 11 2009 Melanie
When people ask me where I'm from, I get a confused look on my face. I don't know. I've moved well over 40 times, and I've lived in Canada, the USA and Mexico. "I'm Canadian" I usually say; and though I wouldn't call myself patriotic, I know that I derive a small amount of identity from what my passport says on the front.
What amazes me most about Americans is their incredible misconceptions about Canada. Anyone who hasn't been here, doesn't know much about how we live. I heard it from an American comedian put this way (hugely paraphrased): "It's not like we don't like Canada. Canada is like the huge attic in this great house we live in. One day you wander up there and it's like, 'WOW! There's a lot of great crap up here!"
What amazes me most about Canadians that haven't lived in America is the ridiculous ideas we have about them. We think that everyone in America is just like a stockbroker from New York, and they think we're all fishermen from Newfoundland.
What bugs me about both places is that everyone thinks everything is the same across the border. "It's not that different, no big deal." They'd be wrong. Living in the US didn't afford me a lot of culture shock, but let me tell you: It's tiring trying to figure out all the time how fast 30 miles an hour is, or how warm 80 degrees Fahrenheit is. It's frustrating to use the currency and to constantly try to figure out how much things cost. Usually I just gave up. I never understood why people walked around with shoes on in my house. Peter deals with this all the time now, just like I did in the States.
Here's what I hate the most though: Today in my own country, I was not at all proud to be a Canadian, or a member of the Commonwealth for that matter. I was ashamed, and I had to apologize to my "arrogant American" husband today for the words of one Canadian, and one British gentleman. They thought it may be okay -in full earshot of him- to badmouth America. A lot. Not everything they said was even true, but that's not the point. If America was a hellhole that should be bombed and all it's inhabitants made to be just like "good smart Canadians (or Brits)" it wouldn't make a difference. They became exactly what they accused "all Americans" of being. Ignorant and prideful. I don't think they did it on purpose, and I don't care if they think it, but they said it, and they offended him. And infuriated me. I know how hard he works to fit in here, not only with a new family that he doesn't know very well, but in a country where he doesn't exactly fit.
When I was in an American church, a well meaning pastor started "poking fun" at Canada for our leniency on gay rights. I was furious, I nearly walked out of church. What if all Canadians don't believe in gay marriage, what if one of them is within earshot, away from her family and many things familiar, trying to fit in and put aside what she understands? Then don't you look like an ass...
I love America. I love Canada. There are things that both countries need to learn from each other. There are things that both countries need to abandon. Unfortunately, both countries are made up of people, and people are, flawed. So next time you're about to bash George Bush or our "downstairs neighbors" in a public place, maybe have a second thought. America is made up of a lot of nice people, and a few ignorant ones that ruin the name for all. So is Canada. They're the leading world power and so they face a lot more scrutiny than we do. That'd be hard. I like knowing I can travel to Europe without having to slap another countries' flag on my backpack. Peter nearly stormed in and asked the British gentleman today why, if Americans are so ignorant and self absorbed, did they save Britian's ass in WWII? Good question. Why, if Canada is so freaking great do we as Canadians allow some of the policies passed to become the country that our children will live in? Another good question.
I don't care which country is better, if George Bush is the anti-christ, or if Canadian are all uneducated lumberjacks. I care about how we treat people.
I'll admit to you, I'm angry. It's happened to me, it's happened to Peter, and it'll happen again. I'm sad that we can't practice tolerance half the time because we're too hung up on what our opinions are. I know I do this all the time, and it's something I truly loathe about myself. Something I'll work a million years on so that maybe one day I can go a year without sticking my foot in my mouth and offending someone.
This post is absolutely NOT for posting your political ideas. Call me a jerk but I'll delete your comments. If you're a fisherman from Newfoundland, I think you're awesome, I couldn't enjoy seafood without you. If you're a stockbroker from New York, I hope you do really well. If you hate George, love him, are British, gay, straight, Christian, atheist, Buddhist, or just someone who thinks it's totally normal to walk into a house without removing your shoes, I hope that I work hard to make you feel like a person, a human being, even if you do things differently, see things differently. Even if I think you're wrong. You are a person created by God, so am I. We inhabit the same planet, and that's good enough for me.

12 Response to "Why WHY Can't We All Just Get Along?"

  1. footsack Says:

    I totally agree. We need to be sensitive and 'do unto others'...
    I know what it feels like to be in a strange country but at least I never heard anyone bash my country in front of me.
    You said it great.

  2. Sarah Says:

    Kudos!
    Here, here!
    Encore!

  3. Melanie Says:

    okay, so I know the new layout is boring and plain. I wrecked something and I can't fix it now. AHH!
    I'm beseeching Carrie to save me.

  4. Sue Says:

    Well said Mel.

    Around here you here alot of Mennonite bashing. Some are just silly jokes and that I can handle. But when it goes beyond that it can behurtful, because those people they are putting down are my ansestors who tried thier best to make this a God fearing Nation.

  5. Margaret Says:

    I totally agree with your post. Right down to the shoes on in the house.

  6. Kathy Says:

    Good blog Mel! I know what you mean, when I was on my DTS we had one girl from Britian and she was always bad mouthing Americans. Needless to say alot of the Americans on my DTS were really offended. I think she eventually learned to keep her mounth shut! It's sad really. All of the Americans on my DTS were truly awesome people! Friends you would definetly want to have around. You had some very good points in your post Mel.

  7. Carol Says:

    Loved your post. I agree. While working for the small airline in Saskatoon, we flew Americans into northern SK to fishing camps. There were a lot of them who were very arrogant, and liked to put down others. Then there were some who were fantastic. I hate it when one person's behavior shades your view for the whole race. There are bad canadians, and bad men and women. Just because at one time a woman lied to me, doesn't mean I think all women are liars.

  8. arimich Says:

    I think Canadians tend to forget that the United States has a different culture, just like China or Nigeria or Colombia has a different culture from us. Most Canadians I know would think twice about bashing Chinese culture, but because they see Americans as so similar to Canadians, they view the differences as character flaws instead of cultural differences. If people would remember that the U.S. is its own country with its own culture, I think it would be a lot easier for them to respect those differences and learn to deal with them.

  9. Anonymous Says:

    Well said Ariann! I agree completely. Just try living in the US for a little while, it is a different culture, not as different as perhaps, Nepal, but still not the same as here. Thanks for your comments guys.

  10. Carlie Says:

    I think Peter is great and I like that he says rut beer :) j/k but seriously, good post Melanie, I hope a lot of people take it into consideration before they speak about a life they know nothing about.

  11. Unknown Says:

    This is a great post. I admit that, sometimes, I can be that person that pokes fun at Americans. I don't like it, but I do. But it's not all of them. I know that some Americans are great people, just as some aren't. But it's the same for every single country in the world. I don't like stereotyping, and I try to look at the person for who they are, not for what I or others may perceive them to be.

  12. Melanie Says:

    wahoo!!! Carrie is so great. She told me how to get my old layout back for now, and is still going to try and make me a new one.
    Three cheers for Carrie!!

    HIP HIP HOORAY!!!!