What a Great Idea

3.19.2007 6:40 PM 11 2009 Melanie
So Vancouver Island is participating in Dining Out For Life, and AIDS/HIV and Hepatitis C fundraiser. If you go out to dinner on March 29 at a participating restaurant, 25% of your bill is donated to AIDS research, treatment and prevention. I checked out the company getting the money, and they sound pretty cool. Plus the Blue Ginger restaurant in Nanaimo is one of the accepted restaurants, and they serve...SUSHI!
I love when communities do stuff like this. There's also a woman giving a dollar for every person who participates, or every restaurant, or something... So if you're looking for a good excuse to eat out, and feel good about it, there you have it. I checked for Saskatchewan, and they're not participating so you'll all have to come out to dinner here with us. What a shame.
Also, the Wesley Street Cafe in Nanaimo is participating and it's fancy and delicious, we went once for a celebration dinner. Check out the site and look at the restaurants, and links to the restaurants sites.
I like the idea of Christians supporting their communities and not just giving money to the church. I know the church is supporting the community, but this gives a bigger sense of ownership. I like finding creative ways to tithe (and creative reasons to eat sushi) so this works for me.
As for the long rant, I'm still too mad. People are selfish, people in general, not aimed specifically at one of you, hoping you pick up the hint, I hate that. Maybe I'll try to write about it later, but the more I think, the madder I get, and that means that post will be very very long. I'll try and condense my anger and get back to ya.

5 Response to "What a Great Idea"

  1. Margaret Says:

    What a great idea. I don't go to Lefty's very often, but now when I do I can also give to AIDS research. The Blue Ginger is amazing, but I have never tried either of the others that are listed.

  2. Carol Says:

    We haven't tried the Blue Ginger yet. We keep saying we will, maybe this will help to get us there once.

  3. footsack Says:

    I'm going for sushi for sure!

  4. Anonymous Says:

    just curious as to why you comment on how you like the idea of "christians" supporting their community? i like the idea of anyone and everyone supporting the community...not just christians.

  5. Anonymous Says:

    As do I, and that was my point. I think that Christians SOMETIMES give to their churches and that's it, but I believe we all live together on this planet and we all can take ownership in our communities. I was thinking that Christians could learn from those who aren't, that was my point. Sorry if you misunderstood.