Christmas, Thank-You's and Mario

11.24.2009 5:09 PM 11 2009 Melanie
I should just leave it at that. That has been my day so far.

It is 5:10pm. I am in my jammies. I have played most of World Three in Mario, and have been writing thank you notes from Bella's multiple baby showers and Christmas cards the rest of the time. And of course, nursing Bella, "fighting" with Peter about the heat being turned down (I'm a little funny about Bella getting cold, or anything close to it), and changing diapers.

Here's another selfish confession. I am truly very thankful for every gift we've got, and I love being able to tell people that. BUT, I love the stationary aspect of the "thank-you note". But if I wasn't a freak about beautiful paper and pens, I probably wouldn't have sent them. Don't get me wrong, I would have said thank you, and been just as grateful, but I'd have sent you a facebook note, or told you in person. I don't do it because it's the "proper thing to do". I just loved having a good reason to go to Michael's and get the cutest package of cards you've ever seen. Plus, I love an excuse to send, and receive real mail. I love getting anything in the mail that isn't a bill.

Here's the thing though. I don't know why we write down what we get and from whom. Do you really want your card to say, Becky, thank you for the adorable hat and the cute little shirt and bib. Doesn't that sound a bit formulaic? Don't you feel like you've gotten a form letter or something?

Dear (Insert Name Here)
Thank you so much for your gift of (insert correspoding present here). It was very kind of you, and we're so grateful.
Most Sincerely,
(your name here)

I will tell you that I thought of each of you while I wrote your card, and was really thankful, and wrote something individual to you. If you compare your cards, they are not the same. And they are on really cute stationary.

4 Response to "Christmas, Thank-You's and Mario"

  1. Melanie Says:

    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. Becky Says:

    LOL. Yes, that's what I want it to say. However, I'm guessing say... Auntie Susan MAY find it confusing if you call her Becky?

  3. Trav Says:

    oh man... i hope you liked the gift from us (tho honestly,i forget what we got you) i'd hate to get a card that says something like

    dear jack ass
    thanks for nothing.
    screw you

    sincerely,
    moni

    although, honestly, i would probably laugh and then put the card up on display, so if you feel like sending me a card like that, feel free.

  4. Shirley Says:

    I had 82 (82!!!!!) thank you cards to write for Sam, so I confess that they did get a tad formulaic. Sigh. The next time I give a baby gift I will add in the card a free "get out of thank-you card" coupon.