Date Night - part I

11.28.2009 9:03 AM 11 2009 Melanie
Peter and I are going on a date tonight. Alone. I am up at 8:30 stressing about it already. My mom and dad are going to watch Bella.

The plan was to go to dinner and a movie, but that would have worked out to about three and a half hours, and I just don't think I can do it. I didn't say this to Peter, just sat in the car trying not to hyperventilate. He mentioned that he actually liked my original plan, which included reservations at a really nice restaurant in Cedar but no movie. I don't know why we deviated from the first plan anyway, it's been causing me endless stress, thinking about being away from Bella for nearly four hours. He asked if we could just do what I had planned first, and I nearly fainted with relief.

The restaurant is in Cedar, so it's a half hour from here, and dinner will take about an hour and a half, so we're still looking at almost three hours, but that's not too bad. I can do that. I just didn't think I could do four.

Here's the scoop. I know all moms stress about this the first time. It's always hard. I've been away from her for two hours while Peter's home with her, and I am fine. And both of us were away from her for nearly three hours once before, and I think my problem lies there. She was having her MRI. It happened on the worst day of my life, and they told me when she went into the MRI that she'd be about a half hour. I remember every moment of those two extra hours. And when I got to see her again she wasn't fine. She'd been poked six times before they'd gotten her IV in. I can't imagine how she must have cried, and I wasn't there for her. I couldn't be.

I know this isn't the same. I know if she's really upset, my mom can call me, and I'll rush home to her. I know she won't actually even get really upset. She's so good, and so happy. She knows and loves my mom, was smiling for her like crazy last night. She'll be in her own environment. I know she'll be okay, and I know the longer I put this off the harder it will be. So we're going to go.

I'll let you know tonight how it went.

2 Response to "Date Night - part I"

  1. Margaret Says:

    I have been there, Mel. Tyler was so sick the first few months and Auntie Orlah wanted to give me a break from his constant, very load, painful crying. She took Tyler to her house and I was going to lay down and have a nap that lasted longer than 30 minutes. I lay down and closed my eyes and all I knew was that my baby was screaming and crying. I made it for about an hour and then got up and went to get my baby.
    My heart goes out to you and Peter.

  2. Anonymous Says:

    How did it go? I don't remember the first time I went out with Lucas. I bet it wasn't easy though. I hope you guys had an awesome evening.