If cleanliness is next to godliness...

11.23.2009 1:07 PM 11 2009 Melanie
...then the last six months would have sent me straight to hell.

If you have kids, and you're reading this, I need you to do me a favor. Remember when you brought your first baby home from the hospital. Remember leaving with that tiny bundle and thinking, "they're really just going to send me home and see how I do?". Remember how unreal that was? To just take your baby home and get on with your life? And remember the weight of the knowledge that nothing would ever be the same again. Remember the first time you were totally alone with your child? How scary that was? Remember how all you used to do was stare at them when they'd sleep, thinking, "don't you need something?". It's funny how little maintenance the first one really is. Before the hospital and everything I remember thinking, "seriously, I should be doing something shouldn't I?" Stupid me, the answer was to go to sleep. Oh well. Anyway, remember that feeling, and try not to roll your eyes at me during this post. Or go ahead. I'd laugh at me if I were reading it.

Today, I put Bella down for a nap. In her room, in her swing, all by herself. It took me a long time but I closed the door. I used our baby monitor. Then I cleaned out the fridge. I cannot tell you about the fridge. Oh, what the heck, you've been there. There were cabbage rolls from Thanksgiving in there, and guacamole from before then. There were things in that fridge that were older than Bella. It was horrific. I cleaned it out, washed the disgusting dishes that held the offending items and took out the abominable smelling garbage. And when I was done, I checked on Bella. Still sleeping.

So I made the bed. Peter and I will go to sleep in a bed that was made that morning for the first time in probably six months. I didn't make the bed much when I was huge and pregnant. I ran to the kitchen to listen to the monitor. Nothing but the tick-tick-swish of the swing. I went to see if she was alive. She was. So I swept the floor in the kitchen, and then for good measure, the bathroom. Still sleeping. So I did the mirrors, sink, and toilet. I threw in a load of towels. Still sleeping. I took out a load of clothes and folded them. And put them away. In the same half hour period. Folded AND put away. Where they belong! Not just in the bedroom on a chair, but in the drawers. And I swept my floors in the main areas of the house, and in my bedroom.

And she woke up. So I picked her up and walked her into the living room and she looked around like she had no clue where she was anymore. And then smiled at me. And I was so proud of her, of me, and of us that I cried. I can't believe that I cleaned my house while my baby napped. On her own. What an angel. Oh my goodness, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Today I got to be a wife and a mom. I've never done that before yet. I'm one or the other, and guess which one wins?

I also made a meal plan for the week, and a corresponding grocery list, and once we eat and watch Top Chef, and I feed Bella, I'm going to do errands. All by myself while Bella gets in some snuggle time with her daddy. I know. So laugh if you will, I will do it tomorrow at myself, but today I am simply amazed at myself. With no exaggeration, I am prouder of me today than when I got my high school diploma. When Peter got home for lunch, she was up, fed, medicated and changed. And his house was clean. And his wife was smiling. Unreal.

7 Response to "If cleanliness is next to godliness..."

  1. Anonymous Says:

    WHOA!!! that is a big step....I have lived in this house for almost a year and I can probably count one one hand how many times it has been really clean, ok so just one finger.
    I am proud of you too Mel!!
    give Bella a squish for me

  2. Melanie Says:

    why aren't you blogging yet. You have such a pretty template.

  3. Becky Says:

    LOL. Eight months. That's when I feel like stuff like that really starts to be normal. (Although, Hannah, being freakishly good has been this easy from day one. But she's a freak.)

  4. Claudia Says:

    Can I just say how adorable you are?

    At this point, after 4 years of being a mom, I honestly cannot remember feeling that way. Buuuuuut then again, my experiences were different :-P

    Way to go, Bella & Mellie!
    I wish I could squish both of you right now!!!

  5. Shirley Says:

    Sigh...I am at 8 months, and things don't seem normal. I am totally with you on the fridge thing. Today I literally threw a bowl in the garbage, because I didn't want to deal with the mold I found in it. (Then the reality of losing my nice bowl kicked in so I fished it out and cleaned it properly. Yuck!) I am so proud of all you got done today. All that, and a little baby. It is a BIG DEAL.

  6. Melanie Says:

    Don't get me wrong. Things are not normal here. You should see my drawers, and my closet. Oh I just can't think about those. Because my floor is clean.

    So not normal, but the first step towards normal. Until today, I thought normal had packed its bags and left me in my messy house with my baby and her medicine.

  7. Unknown Says:

    Okay... this makes me feel awful. Because I don't have a baby, and I'm pretty sure some times my house is just as bad, or actually probably worse. But today the house is mostly clean (mostly thanks to my husband) and we made Christmas cookies. I have to say, I'm impressed! :D Great job!