Stupidstore is Super

11.10.2009 10:39 PM 11 2009 Melanie
I hate Superstore. I've blogged about this a long time ago, but if I'm going to do a blog a month you're going to get something of a re-run here eventually. I don't have 30 original ideas.
I hate that you need a dollar for a cart. I never have a dollar. Don't tell me to keep it in my car, I'll spend it on a coffee every last time. There's a contraption you can buy for your key ring, but I hate spending the dollar. I'm not spending more money to have the dollar.
I hate the colors of it, and the warehouse feel of it. I'm always freezing cold in there and all that yellow stresses me out.
I hate that it's so stupidly laid out. If I want diapers, coffee, meat and bread, I have at least three miles of walking to do, which wouldn't do me harm, but that's just not the point. And it's fine that it's big, it's just that if you want cheese and bread, they're at least 200 yards from each other. If you want to run in for a rotisserie chicken, and a loaf of bread, they're nowhere near each other.
I hate paying for bags. I wish they'd raise their prices two cents on every last thing and leave the dang bags alone. I hate bagging my groceries and feeling rushed when I don't go fast enough, because I'm trying to grab my debit card, and my baby is crying and some dumb woman is trying to make me figure out how many bags I'll need.
BUT ALAS:
I love, with all my heart, their clothing section - especially the kids stuff. Tonight I got Bella two hats, a pair of mittens and a sleeper, all of it easily as cute as the stuff you get at Baby Gap. I didn't shop the sale rack at all, and it was all less than thirty bucks. A sleeper is six dollars, and they're so much nicer than the WalMart ones.
I love their Italian salad dressing. I would go for that alone, even if I had to walk two miles, which I do.
I love their frozen desserts. You can show up at someone's house with a really beautiful, yummy dessert for seven dollars. For someone who can't bake to save her life, this is a treat in itself.
I love all of their menu things. Anything with the label "A Taste Of" on it is delicious. I've not found one that's not yummy. They have this fig balsamic sauce in a jar, which when paired with goat cheese on a Triscuit is life changing.
I love their prices. They have a rotisserie chicken, loaf of french bread, and two salads deal that's only ten dollars. Ten! To feed four people!
And now that I have a baby, I love that it's one stop for all that I need. Tonight I got baby clothes, a wedding gift for Shawn and Stephanie, cards and wrap for the same, some dishes, eggs and milk. It was nice not to have to load Bella in and out of the car three times to do that. Even if I didn't have money for a cart and loaded down her stroller so much that I nearly buried her.
So I go. Bella fell asleep in the stroller while we were there tonight and I had her all tucked away from people and their germs, and had disinfected my hands and the stroller, so I felt relaxed enough to take a walk. I learned today that they also have really nice kitchen things. I got a set of french onion soup bowls for ten dollars. For four bowls, and they're pretty and white, so they match my other dishes. Melissa inspired me to try the french onion soup, and now I have bowls to do it in!
Oh Stupid Superstore. How it vexes and delights me. Another love-hate relationship.
That's all I did today worth talking about. Oh, except that I played at least four hours of Tomb Raider for my Wii, and managed to forget to save my game both times and so now I have nothing to show for what was already wasted time. Stupid Laura Croft and her slutty outfits and her confusing save options. I hate-hate Laura Croft.

9 Response to "Stupidstore is Super"

  1. Becky Says:

    Joe is the best thing ever. I could NOT find a cute thing for the boys to wear anywhere in Dorkton until Joe. Their boy clothes used to suck @#$. Now they rock my world. You should see the turtle shirt I got Sammy the other day...

  2. Margaret Says:

    I, on the other hand, like Superstore. I think the difference is that I never go there to pick up a few things. When I go there it is to shop for groceries, one isle after the other and somethimes cloths, and as stated in my last blog, kitchen gadgets, and I can do it all under the same roof.
    As for bagging my own groceries and trying to hurry because the next person is impatiently waiting for me. Well, that happened to me a little bit ago. I was bagging my groceries and the teller wanted to push the next person through, who only had about 1/3 of what I bought. She and the customer were both standing there waiting and I looked up and said, "This could all be avoided if the store would have people bagging for them." And then I continued bagging my groceries. At my speed. :)

  3. Shirley Says:

    I TOTALLY agree. I don't know how one store can fill me with such rage and such delight and the same time.

    From a friend of Becky's doing a little lurking. :)

  4. footsack Says:

    I do love and hate that store for the same reasons except the walking part. I don't mind that at all. The bags and the loonie though really bug me. I NEVER have a loonie!!

  5. Melanie Says:

    Hi Shirley - I've seen your comments on other posts, so you don't feel like a total stranger, and I've read your blog too.

    Lurk away!

  6. Dave Says:

    Talk bad about Superstore all you want. I freakin hate that place. You try and find lemon juice in that place...IMPOSSIBLE!!!!! But I have some issues with your saying bad things about Tomb Raider. I love that game. Of all the video ga,es in the world I think thats my all time fav. Yes the outfits are a little "slutty" but tI love the whole puzzle aspect. I to have forgotten to save though. That does suck.

  7. Melissa Says:

    My problem with Superstore is that even though it's one stop shopping they are always, ALWAYS out of something that is on my list. Actually, it's usually several things on my list. So I end up at another store anyways. I also always forget the loonie. And my bags in the trunk of my car.

    The Saskatoon Superstore is also horrible for lines. I once stood in line for 45 minutes. Not even joking.

    It's way out of our way anyways, so we hardly ever go anymore. If I need a Joe fix, I just go to Extra Foods. Which is just as infuriating, but closer to home.

    LOL Dave. I can NEVER find lemon juice there either. And if I do, it's the last bottle on the very top shelf all the way at the back.

  8. Unknown Says:

    I love Superstore more than I hate it. I love most of their name-brand stuff. And, unfortunately, all of their potato chips. Kung pao chicken flavored chips? Yes please. But I do definitely hate having to pay for the stupid bags, and that they always seem to be completely out of something I need.

  9. Melanie Says:

    Melissa! Exactly! I always leave needing to go to Save On. Usually for produce of some kind. I hate their produce. Mushrooms almost always are gone. Not even and empty spot on the shelf where they should be, just absent entirely. Argh.